Finally broke down and ordered one.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
imacman said:
Well, finally got the fan and had time today to get it mounted and turned on. I realized one thing....the inlet side of the fan is WAY quieter than the outlet side.

I mounted it in the beginning of a hallway to pull air from the stove room. When you're in that room, you can hardly hear the fan. But on the outlet side, it is pretty noisy.

My guess is that the plastic grate is causing turbulence in the air and hence, the noise. If I decide to keep it, I'm going to open the case and see if the fan is quieter by itself. If it is, I'll cut out the plastic on the output side.

ALL fans run quieter without a guard. Why would a fan at the top of a door way need a guard? Anyone tall enough to stick his/her fingers in it should know better (and deserves a surprise if they don't). Cut the guards OFF and it will either be quieter and/or will move a LOT more air, or both. Circular tip guards (fan duct) excepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.