Finally broke into the cord wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Used a few splits last week for the first time. My neighbor had done some renovations and given me a bunch of 2x4's that I had been using. The stuff that I hope to use for the season is now on its 3rd season, mixed borderline quality hardwood (maple and holly mostly I think, a few poplar splits left) and I have between 1/2 - 2/3 cord. Last season I only used 2/3 cord total, but I think that was an anomaly, and I'm not going to be stingy with the heat this year in the name of marital bliss. I also bought a pallet of liberty bricks, which I'm splitting between my 2 houses. Lastly, I have 1.25 cord of oak on its second season that I was hoping not to touch. And finished c/s/s another 1-1.25 cord of oak this fall. Thinking that I'll use the liberty bricks mixed with the oldest wood, esp for the overnight burns, and save the oak for next year. BTW, going to post a review on the Liberty Bricks (I had seen mixed reviews, mostly older). So far I think they compare very favorably to Eco Bricks at < 1/2 the cost. You can pick them up wholesale if you drive to the plant in Doswell, VA.

I bet those 2x4's burn hot and quick! Your going to really enjoy that Oak next year. It's worth the wait :)!

I'm just about finished with the short uglies. It's more of a pain handlin them. Itll be nice to be burning the full splits.

Ha. I'm just about finished with the long splits that I have been trimming. Been through most of a cord, plus the chunks off the long splits. I'll be happy to just bring it in and burn it.

Mike, that is not much wood burned in a season so you must not yet be a full time burner. And yes, last year was an anomaly.

Nope, (mostly) full time in a relatively warm climate keeping the house in the upper 60's during the day. Very surprised about how easy this house is to keep warm, though I REALLY get diminishing returns if I try to push the temp into the 70's. I'm heating 2000 of the 2400 sq ft. 100 yo brick, well insulated attic, no wall insulation, original windows (with storms added). One wall shared, which probably helps considerably. As a compromise with my wife, we have the radiators running in her upstairs office for maybe an hour/day when I'm not home. I put new valves on them all, so I shut the rest of them. I'm wondering if I underestimated how much chunks/junk I burned during shoulder season last year, same as those 2x4's are going to skew my numbers this year.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
When I lived in Ashland I had an appartmnet with electric strip heat(no heat pump) in the central air system, with nieghbors on both sides and a bedroom upstairs that took that exterior wall.
My power bills never went over 50 bucks
It was good to have neighbors keeping me warm:)

Status
Not open for further replies.