Finished wood shed this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably wont be full till the fall. I plan to leave the wood where it is until september. Or I will bring a few loads in here and there so I dont have to do it all at once.

Weatherguy, what part of central MA are you in? Im on the Spencer/Leicester/Charlton line.

Weatherguy, what part of central MA are you in? Im on the Spencer/Leicester/Charlton line.

Im in Southbridge, probably about 10 miles from you.

PappaDave. I had one half of a row fall out on me, the other side stayed just fine (due to the center wall). For sure the wall saved some work there. It also makes it easier to fill up. The shorter rows are more stable. I'm glad I did it

I actually work in Southbridge

I used "Item 4" crushed stone for under my pallets, ~ 4"or more in the lower spots, raked level, hand tamped, hosed with h2o, tamped. It is really solid, and stays put, it also seems to help the pallets from deteriorating. It was a lot of work, but I think worth the effort for a solid level base for the pallets. Also look for heavy duty pallets -

The shed is about 3/4's full now. I am able to get 1.5 cds per row and will be able to fit 4 rows in it comfortably. It didnt take all that long to fill while using the trailer that I could back up to the outside stacks to load and then back up into the wood shed to unload. Will post a picture hopefully after this weekend once the shed is fully stacked.

THAT
is an impressive wood stack

nice shed jaydogg. no more messing with tarps!

First of all.......awesome job........but by the looks of that wood stack you will need to expand that shed! :)

Great looking shed and agree w/NewWood that looks like you'll need to do a Phase II addition to accommodate all that wood!

What I dont fit in the shed this year, will just sit out and dry for another 12 months until I can fit it in there next year. Last fall was a good wood year for me where I got about 14 cds cut/split/stacked. I only used about 5 cds last winter so I was able to get a few years ahead. I will take it easy this fall and next so I dont end up with more wood than I can use before it starts to get punky on me. As is it, some of last falls fresh supply will be stacked for about 3 years before I get to some of it.

lets see pics once its full and see how much of a dent you put in the pile

Reactions: PapaDave
6 cords. ready for snow

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 228
6 cords. ready for snow
Right on Jay looks great!! Similar to what I built here.. You're gonna love it! Soon I will drop the tarp sides to keep driven rain/snow out. I also store my snowblower and wood wagon inside the shelter. Sure is nice to load the wagon out of the weather! I place ramps and roll the full wagon right out of the shelter :) Jay do you work in Boston?

Ray

Ray, I originally saw your design last year and is the reason I built mine the way I did. I work in Southbridge MA. Live in Spencer. How many cords can you fit in yours?

Ray, I originally saw your design last year and is the reason I built mine the way I did. I work in Southbridge MA. Live in Spencer. How many cords can you fit in yours?
Hi Jay,
Right now I estimate around 4 cords in the shelter plus the wagon, snow blower, electric splitter and other odd items. I have some wood stacked as high as 6 feet and could probably fit double the wood if I went wood only. I can imagine the foliage must be beautiful out your way right now! Great job on the shelter!

Ray

Looks even better filled JayDogg.

Reactions: PapaDave
nice....i would'nt throw away those tarps. might use one as a drop down once the snow starts flying. might keep the wood from getting snow packed if you get a good stiff wind from a nor-eastern.

cass

Great job, that beam looks solid the way you wrapped it. I found on my property some old telephone poles that are still in the ground and I am thinking of cutting them in half and burying them for the one I plan on building (one of these days). To serious about hunting right now, I have to get that big buck that has been eluding me.

Man that's a nice shed! I love those huge beams on top up there! I could never bring myself to use a beam like that. I am too much of a tightwad. I would want to keep them for something better. I guess I am storing all those things until I get too old to use them. lol

I bet you look at it every day now & feel warm all over ;)
Very nice job.
Much better picture with 6 cords in there :)
You'll enjoy it so much, you'll wonder why it took so long to build one!

Jay I am flattered that you designed your shelter based on my shelter! I just did what I thought would work.. Hope it works out for you! I like the sides you added and I assume you did the same in the back.. Great features I wish I had done but I built my shelter around my wood which was a PIA that made me do things differently..

Ray

Very nice work Jaydogg. A very good looking wood dryer.

Those "huge" beams are just a couple of 2x10's, nothing fancy. It makes me all warm and tingly when I look out the window and see it all! HA

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.