Mrpelletburner Posted By Mrpelletburner, Nov 4, 2018 at 8:44 PM

1. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    IMO, really, for what that furnace is....it's not horrendous. I just recently found out the stove guys see flue temps much higher than that even......and it's considered to be normal. :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    I’m seeing 550-650 when lighting or reloading. 375-430 during the burn. That is with the blower running.

3. 3fordasho

3fordasho
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 20, 2007
    Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Yep, my 30nc will see 600-700F flue temps during the active part of the burn. Considered normal I guess. Plus when it's not that hot, the thing smokes more than any other stove or furnace I've had. For a stove that's highly recommended on this site, color me not impressed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    brenndatomu likes this.
  4. Case1030

Case1030
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2017
    Loc:
    Manitoba
    Yeah I guess the limit is nearly reached to how much can be expected out of the Hy-c furnace. Can't really change the design of the stove.

My insert (Century 2900 epa) would occasionally run at 600f internal flue during peak burn, but they aren't even comparable to the higher efficency furnaces when it comes to heat extraction efficiency.

What @Mrpelletburner could do is contact the company and ask what normal internal flue temp range is when the combustion fan is off. (Might not get accurate/helpful information after hearing how your last conversation with hy-c went but is worth a try.)

sloeffle likes this.
  5. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Ohio
    I should of added this to my last post. My probe is about 6" from the back of my furnace. I'm not sure if that is why I'm seeing a little higher temps than the other guys. My draft speeds are always pretty low when temps are above 20F ( my chimney isn't very tall ) so I generally have to keep a small nail or a paper clip on the front flap to keep the secondaries going which doesn't help either.

Case1030 likes this.
  6. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    I have a Tempoint probe inserted right at the collar and it does seem to read slightly higher when reloading on coals before it goes to pilot, but generally both are pretty close when the furnace is on pilot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSV90ZY/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I didn't pay anywhere near that price! It was the very first one I bought and had installed even before my first fire.

7. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    That’s kinda funny. I’ve waited over a week for a return call after the last suggestion resulted in me not even able to get a fire burning. Their latest solution to the puffing was a top down fire.

I’m getting close to a year in operation and closer to checking with a lawyer.

I’ve had professionals come in and inspect the install and got a clear approval on that. It will not burn consistently without the forced draft riunning, period.

8. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Can we all go in on a class action lawsuit?

9. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Class action suits only seem to make the lawyers rich......lol

10. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Whatever suite to stop the sales and some $$ in my pocket for my wasted time/effort and cost of stove/install.

woodey likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    IMG_20181112_202008827.jpg This a pic I took a few weeks back...top is internal flue temp (sensor about 18" from furnace)
    bottom is duct temp. This is in the height of the burn...everything on "cruise control"
    It actually went a little lower than 235* even...I was starting to think that I need to bump my draft speed up a bit ;lol...I did go clean the temp probe, just to make sure it wasn't sooted up (it was fine)

12. woodey

woodey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2018
    Loc:
    ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.

What's the difference between a dead lawyer and a dead snake in the road ? There are skid marks in front of the snake.!!!

13. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    IMG_0885.jpg

Maybe 8” of glowing hot splits, no draft blower and “cruise” mode.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Where are the various temps from?

15. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    T1 - 12” rear of stove, inside stove pipe
    T2 - inside distribution blower box
    T3 - inside stove pipe 6” into t snout
    T4 - inside plenum

16. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Are you missing part of your baffle. Those are very hot temps for that low of a temp in the plenum.

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    703.9* !!! I can see the headlines now..."EPA dues HY-C corp for contributing to global warming" ;lol

And only 106* plenum temp with 700+ in the flue?! ;lol ;lol ;lol !!! !!! !!!

woodey likes this.
  18. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    I don’t think I am. Front of the stove, left side of the door, is around 500 degrees (measured with temp laser gun.

19. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Distribution blower inside temps are low. Perhaps causing the low plenum temp.

20. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Next time it’s cold look at the brick on top. Make sure they are pushed all the way to the back and none are dislodged.

Mrpelletburner likes this.
  21. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I would say your return air temp is pretty typical for anyone that does not have return air duct hooked up...just pulling off the floor basically. That plenum temp is not impressive.
    Last winter I tried out a Kuuma VF200...when the flue temps were 450*F, the supply duct temp was 200*+!

22. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Mine are 150 with 225 flue temps. Still running on 5 min off a min.

23. woodey

woodey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2018
    Loc:
    ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.
    Sorry if I missed this in a earlier post , but has a baro damper been attempted in this unit or would this void the warranty?

24. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    ? How's that? You wire up a timer or something?

25. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    They keep telling him "DO NOT INSTALL BARO!" Can you believe that?!