Fire Pit- Cherry Pits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 16, 2014
Sw Ohio
Ran across these at the local farm store, been wanting to try cherry pits for awhile but have proven to be hard to find in ohio. Bought three bags to try, heres my thoughts after the three bag test.

1. A 40# bag has the volume of about a bag and a half of wood pellets, so you need more space for storage.

2. Their not cheaper than wood pellets (at least in my area)

3. I have to run my stove at a faster auger speed to obtain the same heat as wood pellets. (more wear and tear on the stove)

4. More popcorning out of the burn pot as they are lighter than wood pellets.

5. Lots of ash = more cleaning

6. Pungent smell, sticks to your clothes and everything else that comes close to the exhaust outlet.

If I lived in an area where these were abundant and cheap, I would possibly burn them. But with Somersets $160 a ton where I'm at, there's no advantage for me to switch.

Reactions: Harmanizer