Fire . . . preventable fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is bad.

folks get into bad habits early on and over time become complacent...sorry to hear news like this

There was just a total loss fire up the road from my parents. Cause? Improperly installed stove (if there was a book on what not to do, these people wrote it).

This sounds like one of those cases where you can't fix stupid. I can't imagine stacking wood against a chimney but I guess they saw no harm.

Reactions: firefighterjake
That's a new one to me. I have heard kindling and newspaper too close to the stove but never wood stacked to the rusted chimney flue. Then again I've seen people on Youtube with wood splits on top of their wood stove so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. Guess they were trying to dry out the cut yesterday, split today wood.

This may sound harsh, but I am always a big believer in "The Stupid Shall Be Punished."

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
So, I guess the lesson here would be that stacked right up against the stovepipe is definitely stacked "too close." On the bright side, that's generally not the kind of mistake a person makes twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.