Fire Starting by the Wall Street Journal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That wicker basket should really add the fire enjoyment when it blazes. :)

Shari

Well, remember, this is Wall Street's journal. Have to have something to spend that .1% of your last bonus on. Good that they at least mentioned a screen in the accessories. The fireplace beauty shot gave me the willies with all those combustibles nearby.

Also it says "first wood just delivered", I'm sure that's real seasoned. Nothing warms a home like a fireplace with green wood - how about a wood stove and seasoned wood that actually heats a house instead of the chimney.

On another note I saw the other week on "This Old House" they interviewed and showed a guy how rebuilds old fireplaces. I was shocked at the price he gave (can't remember now in the ball park of 10 - 30 grand) for restoring old fireplaces.

Hey, newspapers make their money by selling advertising, not subscriptions. Those articles that mention specific products are many times related to advertising paid for by the vendor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author is getting topnotch seasoned firewood delivered to her door in small bundles, but in NYC it is probably at prices that would leave all of us gasping. It probably makes the firewood sold at 7-11s look like a bargain!

"The fireplace beauty shot gave me the willies with all those combustibles nearby. " No problem with her combustibles...all the heat's going up the chimney.

Lighting a match to crumpled up pages of the Wall Street Journal is putting it to its highest and best use. :lol:

Jesus Humphrey Mortimer Christ! And all this time I've been using a $5 Rubbermaid tote for my wood. Brb, I need to auction one of the kids and a kidney.

Reminds me of the articles in the magazines they have in the fancier airport planes.

About the only time I read the paper is while by the fire waiting for it to light and I happen to have an extra sheet or two in my hands haha!

I shouldn't laugh. She probably makes a ton more money than I do. But I'm still laughing. Even my boss who's been burning for "over 30 yrs." is still burning green wood and crawling around on the roof at least twice/season to clean out the creosote. Yeah... whatever!

My thoughts exactly!

BrotherBart said:
Lighting a match to crumpled up pages of the Wall Street Journal is putting it to its highest and best use. :lol:

precaud said:
My thoughts exactly!

BrotherBart said:

NY Times burns better but I use the Journal in a pinch

All I can think is that if somebody learns to start a fire from the WSJ, they probably need wicker baskets for their wood and $7500 dollar screens.

I can't imagine a basket having a long life with splits thrown in it every night.

Matt

Anyone dumb enough to spend that kind of money for those accessories wouldn't be using them personally, they'd be for the servants or housekeeper. :)

BrotherBart said:
Sounds good to me put a match to it!

PapaDave said:
Did anyone notice the screen goes for $7500? :ahhh:
I wouldn't do that even if I did have the money. Can't fix stupid.

That's why THEY need that 4% tax relief :roll:
(headed to the ASH CAN) :cheese:

BrotherBart said:

I actually enjoy the Wall Street Journal. The international news is tons better than what I get locally, and I
can get it free in exchange for frequent flyer miles.

But I can confirm that it does tie into a bow very easily and has no problem igniting.

PapaDave said:
Did anyone notice the screen goes for $7500? :ahhh:

No, I was distracted by the $750 andirons, which I'm sure are made in China for $20. Seriously.

EDIT: Oops, actually $950. Clearly I do not have an appreciation for fine things.

I'm surprised the fire starting instructions didn't begin with opening a briefcase and pulling out stacks of 100's.

madrone said:
I'm surprised the fire starting instructions didn't begin with opening a briefcase and pulling out stacks of 100's.

Or insider trading records, lol.

That's the instructions for the bathroom. :p

7500 for a fire shield and 950 for some andirons.. I could install 2 Oslos with pipe and have some left over for wood for 2 years.

I don't understand. Am I the only guy here with $950 andirons, a $700 poker, $600 stove gloves and a woodstove I bought on craigslist for $250?

I guess the wall street bailout money is going up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.