Firebox back wall removed

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MareOH

New Member
Oct 5, 2026
2
OHIO
I currently have insert in masonry fireplace. I was looking to upgrade it. After removing faceplate to get measurements I noticed back firebox wall had been removed. Is this safe on outside brick wall? Or should I have this rebuilt?
 
Can you post a picture or two showing what was removed?
 
Yes. A little history the home had a chimney fire. Not exactly sure when but I do see a Crack in dry wall on second floor above where fireplace (and now insert is)

[Hearth.com] Firebox back wall removed [Hearth.com] Firebox back wall removed
 
Looks ok to me, bholler can you verify? With the exposed brick being exterior, it should be 2 bricks thick. To reduce heat loss from the insert to the exterior, consider fabricating a blockoff plate and insulation between the back of the insert and the fireplace wall.