Firebox floor tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibi82

Oct 25, 2013
USA
Hello everyone.

I've looked all over for an answer to this question, and never really gotten anything satisfactory. I hope you can help me.

I own a home that was built sometime in the very late 1940's-early 1950's. The open fireplace floor and hearth are a broken pieces of terra cotta tile, cemented in place with some kind of very heavy-duty, dark gray grout. The whole thing is one level, flush with the hardwood floors in the living room. The tiles are all in good shape, no chips or cracks. They were broken prior to installation, which is a common treatment on front porches around here.

For purely aesthetic reasons, we would like to retile over the top of the clay tiles. While I think doing that over the hearth part of the tile would probably be fine, I'm at a loss about the firebox itself. And nobody at the mega tile store I went to could really help us with what kind of tile would be safe in a firebox.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

I can't tell you what to use, but be careful that the stone is not porous. If it has any water that has seeped into it, the water could turn to steam and cause the stone to explode.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I'm aware of that issue. I originally wanted to use slate, but obviously that is out of the question as it will explode. It's one of the reasons I want to be so cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.