firebrick over firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpanetti

Oct 9, 2007
could not find in the q&a;I want to cover a new firebrick firebox w/ a different color firebrick, cutting the face off a new brick,a s thin as possible and adhereing it to the never used existing brick. Im worried that the brick may not stay in place after the box heats up. my thoughts are to use the same mortar (which has fire clay in it) parge the sub-strate and the back of the new brick then grout w/same.
Also, maybe a latex thin-set would work. does anyone have any first hand experience w/ this?

tpanetti

From a safety stand point I see no problem using refractory cement again no problem Its just I don't know if the thiner bricks will crack to the heat.

I would not use latex anywhere within a fire box Fore boxes require refractory cement m not latex

tpanetti said:
could not find in the q&a;I want to cover a new firebrick firebox w/ a different color firebrick, cutting the face off a new brick,a s thin as possible and adhereing it to the never used existing brick. Im worried that the brick may not stay in place after the box heats up. my thoughts are to use the same mortar (which has fire clay in it) parge the sub-strate and the back of the new brick then grout w/same.
Also, maybe a latex thin-set would work. does anyone have any first hand experience w/ this?

tpanetti

I could be completley mis-reading the question, but I'm assuming this is a either new - and never used fireplace, but you plan on using it (because you are concerned about what happens when it heats up). Elk is right to use refactory cement there, and it will hold the "tiles" you are thinking of making in place - whether they hold up to a fire after slicing them may be a different story. My guess is that they probably will (again - assuming fireplace)

In any event - usually the that portion of the fireplace will be stained and darkend by use, so I'm just trying to think of why the change in color of the firebrick would really matter much if you plan on using it.

My thoughts exactly Harley.

Status
Not open for further replies.