NSExpress Posted By NSExpress, Nov 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM

1. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Sounds about right. The barometric damper just provides an easier path for the chimney to pull air through/from, so it won't pull too much from the fire box. Some 'vacuum' on the firebox is always wanted, but too much and a lot of your wood will end up going up & out the chimney instead of into your house as heat.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    A baro is just a self regulated air leak more or less...they work great, even if somewhat controversial...many manufacturers require them. I've heard tale of chimneys that had such strong draw they needed 2 baros...my chimney is close to that sometimes.

The chimney pulls a negative pressure on the firebox, that's what makes the whole thing work...some people think the chimney is just a place to dump the smoke out, but no, it is the engine driving the firebox...without it, nothing works, at all...try it sometime, load a stove full of wood out in the driveway without a chimney hooked up and then light it...see what happens (clue: nothing!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ccjumper

ccjumper
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Hey NSExpress I am thinking about buying this stove because of the long burn times, its listed at up to 15 hours.....Any update on the issues you were having now that you had some time to mess with it? I would be happy if i could get 12 hour burn times, just wondering if that is possible. Id really like a Kuuma vaporfire 100 but just dont want to spend $5400 before install costs.

4. NSExpress

NSExpress
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2017
    Loc:
    USA
    ok so I like the furnace and produced great heat. Once I dialed it in alittle bit was getting 12h burn time. Maybe longer but then your really just talking about afew hot coals but usually was enough to start a fire using the draft blower fan. In mid January I actually cracked the front on the furnace. Firechief says there standing by there product and is going to replace my furnace but first wanted to make some changes. They think that it actually cracks during the cool down vs when it’s heating up. They were going to give me one right away but I was worried the same thing would happen again. Overfireing actully voids the warranty but from what I gathered from them they had afew in the field that crack.

5. ccjumper

ccjumper
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Thanks for the reply! I know the fc1700 is a newer furnace for them so hopefully they can work the kinks out. I'm stuck between buying a wood furnace, more than likely the fc1700 or a pellet furnace. I like the idea of not having to carry wood to the basement and the long burn times, but I have 165 acres to cut on and kind of enjoy it...maybe I'll just sell the wood I cut to pay for pellets if I go that route...anyways thanks again!!!

6. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Did you get the replacement furnace installed?

7. NSExpress

NSExpress
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2017
    Loc:
    USA
    i have been in touch with fire chief all summer and the replacement is ready. They told me they wouldn’t send me a new one unless I replaced the flex duct work come from the furnace into my exsisting duct work with 8” round smooth duct work. So I have done it bc it’s too hot in the summer in attic. In the process of doing it now. Once it’s done they want pics and will send me the new 1