Fired up newly installed Englander30 last nite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tugjm

Jul 14, 2008
NY
Was slow to get going. Flamed up nice with vent wide open and door cracked open. When door is closed tight flames die out rather quickly with vent open . Is this normal? My stove pipe goes up 3 feet,out 3 feet through the wall,then up 10 feet. Roof is 12/12 pitch.Top of pipe is 7 horizontal feet from roof but still 7 feet below the peak.Any help would be great.

With reduction for the drag in that horizontal section and the two elbows you have an effective chimney height of 11 feet or less. Not enough pipe to get a proper draft with that big hoss. Or any wood stove for that matter.

my stove will do the same thing until the wood gets charred. I usally leave the door cracked 10 to 20 mins. to get thing going good then it does just fine after i shut the door. my chimney is 13 feet with no bends an i have a u s stove magnolia.

Either your wood ain't seasoned, or your draft ain't suck'in. Could be a combo of the 2. I would review both. As was pointed out, you gots a short chimney and a $20 moisture meter is a nice thing to have around.

You are not in compliance with the 10,3,2 rule.
The chimney must extend at least 2 feet above any portion of any structure within 10 feet (measured horizontally) AND must extend at least 3 feet above the highest point of its roof penetration.

So It appears You need to go about 9 feet taller than you are right now.

The wood,ash and cherry was cut in Febuary. I will install more pipe 3 feet at a time and look for improvement in draft.

I've got an Englander model 13 and I need to keep the door open a crack for 10-15 minutes or so until things are trucking right along before I can shut the door all the way. The wood is dry (tested with moisture meter under 20%) and the chimney runs straight up through the roof just a couple inches shy of 15' from the floor the stove is sitting on. It's a very shallow pitched roof and the chimney sticks well above the peak of the house, which is about 8' from where the chimney exits the roof. Using OAK which runs about 2 feet from the back of the stove to the hole in the wall.

This is my first year burning though so I don't know how normal this is, but I don't know how much else I could do to improve things. It would be nice to be able to shut the door immediately though. Perhaps when the weather starts getting really cold things will improve a bit. I like my house cool and most days don't bother starting a fire until the interior temp is in the mid-50's while the outside temp will be anywhere from 30-50.

Just my limited experience so far....

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.