Fired up the insert for first time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Moved into the house couple months ago. I got the stove installed in a back, added on room and I am very happy with it.

So, now with colder temps coming, I moved my attention to the old insert in the main part of the house. I was a little worried to fire it up. The house inspector said the flue is in great shape. I found out the insert is an EZ insert fireplace unit (EZ36CT). The blowers work (cross my fingers they continue to work). As it turns out, my 8th month old son's room is the coldest in the house, but it is almost directly above the room with the insert, so I fried it up hoping to get some more heat into his room. A previous owner cut vents into the ceiling above the insert, and has a vent into my son's room. The heat has to run about 10 feet, horizontally through the joists. I can feel some heat coming up through the vents, so I am happy with the set up. When I turn the blowers on, the thing really throws the heat into the main house. I have never used an insert before, let alone an old one like this, so I am keeping a close eye on it. The firebox is very large and I am sure it will chew through the wood.

Do you think another vent into my son's room would be beneficial? I would cut a vent in the ceiling, put insulation between the joists on one side to force the heat towards his room, and then have insulation on the other side of vent in his room. I am putting the insulation because duct work won't fit through the holes for the vents and I want to direct the heat. I hope I explained this in a way you can picture. Is this completely wrong, stupid, or unnecessary?

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 889
Status
Not open for further replies.