Firelight CB stovetop temp, right rear versus dead center

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Ok, first, my stove is modified with split firebrick replacing the cast iron top burn plate (over the burn tubes.) The insulating blanket remains on top of that. I made that change about 5 seasons ago, but I've seen no difference in the way the the stove burns.

I have always noticed that the top center feels hotter than the right rear. It makes sense, as the hot exhaust passes directly over the center of the top baffle plate on its way to the flu collar. During the start-up phase, you can rest your hand on the right rear for perhaps 10 minutes after the top center is too hot to touch. But I was curious about the difference during a big, reduced-air "cruising" fire.

I use an inexpensive Home Saver magnet-mount spring-thermometer which normally stays on the right rear. It shows the "just right" temp-zone as being around 275 to 480 F. That seems too cool according to "those in the know". Nonetheless, the stove seems to heat most effectively (and is way too hot to sit close to) when the thermometer indicates between 450 & 500. So, during a big, mature burn, I took heavy gloves and some small needle-nosed pliers and moved the thermometer to the center:

In the corner, it was indicating 470 degrees. Sure enough, when moved to the center, it indicated spot-on at 600, a one hundred thirty degree spread. ('Took a few minutes for the thermometer to change.)

Later, when the fire was subsiding, the center remained hotter than the corner, but the spread was reduced to 70-50 degrees, from about 320 (rear corner) down to 200 degrees (rear corner.)

FYI, FWIW

Best Regards, and Stay Warm...

I have an IR plus a magnetic located at the right rear of the stove. Usually the magnetic is within 50 degrees of the IR for that spot. However, during the early stages of a burn, I find it interesting to note the different readings I get at the four corners and the center. Dead center is always about 100 degrees higher than any of the corners even in the later stages of a burn.

I've often wondered why the Jotul manual shows thermometer placement at the outer four corners and not the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.