Firepit wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Mar 14, 2008
Northern Michigan
Lots of ways to build a woodshed. I just finished one for our firepit wood storage so we could light a fire anytime we wanted brats, rain or shine. :)

It is constructed from old cedar fence rails for the posts and treated lumber around the bottom to hold the floor board, all scraps. Lattice was used to surround the structure to help keep the wood a bit dryer since the roof is so much higher than the wood will be. Only cost for this was three 4x8 pieces of premium wood lattice ($60.00). They make a thinner and thicker board. The thicker is best and at that I added some cross bracing of 1x2's to stiffen it up more. The plastic lattice is way too thin and flexible to do much good. Added a shelf near the bottom of the top lattice to put kindling on just in case some dampness gets on the prime wood. We burn scraps from our regular wood cutting in this. Lots of pine too........opps, did I say pine? No particle board or other noxious things since we use this to cook on.........
307892259_UY2Qm-M.jpg

.....and celebrating with some brats.
307892251_Tb2Wr-M.jpg

Since we have 2 or 3 years of wood ahead we can take many evenings off. :)

Very nice, Carl. I really like the little fireplace, too...where'd that come from? I can almost smell those brats! :) Rick

fossil said:
Very nice, Carl. I really like the little fireplace, too...where'd that come from? I can almost smell those brats! :) Rick

The firepit came from Menards which is based out of Wisconsin. We paid 50 bucks for it at our local store. Not the original but will work for us. Do a search on google for star and moon firepit and you will see the works. Couldn't locate one for the price we paid but if you look more maybe you can. We are going to get another one to take our island house when we go again over the 4th of July.

Carl said:
...We are going to get another one to take our island house when we go again over the 4th of July.

I'll carry it for you...putting that on my calendar now. :cheese: Rick

fossil said:
Carl said:
...We are going to get another one to take our island house when we go again over the 4th of July.

I'll carry it for you...putting that on my calendar now. :cheese: Rick

The fourth isn't far away so you had better get packed. Since you are bringing the pit you can pick up some brats and beer too. I have the firestarter and matches. Have a safe trip and don't get wet on the monster bike. :)

Very nice Carl...I really like that lattice.

Status
Not open for further replies.