Fireplace condemned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understood correctly, the breast plate protects a wooden header. The breast plate was to thin and many of them developed cracks before ever being set into place on sight. One estimate was that 60% of these chimneys now have cracked breast plates of which there can never be an approved repair since the company is out of business.

To make matters worse, there is also a problem with the rebar used having serious rust issues that show up in the form of hairline cracks and gets progressively worse from there.

Nothing I read about this pre fab system looks good for the op.

Reactions: busibenny
The guy that came out today simply disagrees that these should be condemned or completely replaced from little cracks like these. He said that these prefabs can get rough, but that mine is in otherwise perfect condition and that common sense should come into play at some point. He has never once seen a fire from cracks in these in 40 years he's been working on fireplaces. He said he has had clients who had structural engineers sign off on his work and that he'd be happy to back his work in any way he needed to.

Not sure this is enough to get my house sold... I guess at this point it's going to be up to the buyers if I decide to repair rather than replace?

Never thought I'd have so much trouble selling my house over a pre-fabricated chimney..... sheesh
Well if he can sighn off on it and take all of the liability off your hands I say go for it I agree it probably is not a safety issue but I am not there to see it.

The problem is when it is a prefab once there is a problem the entire system is compromised and unless that damaged part is replaceable and you can get the right part the entire system needs replaced. That is a big issue in our industry.

If I understood correctly, the breast plate protects a wooden header. The breast plate was to thin and many of them developed cracks before ever being set into place on sight. One estimate was that 60% of these chimneys now have cracked breast plates of which there can never be an approved repair since the company is out of business.

To make matters worse, there is also a problem with the rebar used having serious rust issues that show up in the form of hairline cracks and gets progressively worse from there.

You are correct. These things apparently are notorious for cracking and having issues... However, per the guy's rationale I talked to today, that shouldn't mean every single unit should be deemed unsafe just because of a small crack. Cracks in large structures are inevitable. He says just like anything, these should be inspected and common sense should be used.

I can't really find any 'rules' or 'laws' either. Kind of ambiguous. I want to make sure it's safe, but I don't want to unnecessarily spend money. I mean, I live in southern california, we don't use fireplaces very often anyway lol

I appreciate everyone's help. I'll keep the post updated. If anyone has any other opinions/options, I'd love to hear.

I can't really find any 'rules' or 'laws' either. Kind of ambiguous. I want to make sure it's safe, but I don't want to unnecessarily spend money. I mean, I live in southern california, we don't use fireplaces very often anyway lol
The rules would be set by the manufacturer. They made it and tested it they are the only ones who can say if a crack is dangerous legally. But if you find a pro who is willing to take all of the liability on his back go for it.

The rules would be set by the manufacturer. They made it and tested it they are the only ones who can say if a crack is dangerous legally. But if you find a pro who is willing to take all of the liability on his back go for it.

I surely wouldn't take on the liability of a Rampart. Furthermore, I wouldn't take on job. The $300 repair isn't a repair at all. I assume someone will parge the crack which doesnt do anything but bandaid the defects of a Rampart. The company went under and guess who's fault it was... The engineer.

If your engineer is "brave enough," let he or she take that responsibility. Thats fantastic that the confident smart and liability willing are there to comfort our needs. There's a lollipop for every sucker. By the way the engineer that stamped his approval to your fireplace is nowhere to be found.

I concur.

Turns out I have a Rampart General pre-cast fireplace. Apparently there is no approved repair by the manufacturer and the system should not be used -- this is the opinion of Dale Feb from the F.I.R.E.

I have sent pictures to several different fireplace contractors and have gotten everything from $30k for a new chimney, to $300 to seal the crack. By far the most common answer I get is a complete re-lining for $4-5k.

Here is a picture of the breast plate with the crack. I just don't see how this could cost $5k, let alone $30k. Any additional thoughts on this?

View attachment 182789

Good Ol' Dale Feb. He's currently the chairman of NFPA 211. He is sent all over the nation to investigate fireplace related tragedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.