Fireplace converted to gas - can I burn wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmSun

Aug 11, 2022
Santa Barbara
Hello All,

Brand new to the forum - looks like I found a great place! I'm obsessed with burning wood, in the house and out of the house (safely). I just got a 1/4 cord of seasoned oak to burn in my firepit in the backyard.

Here's my question. The fireplace in my home was converted by a previous occupant from wood to gas. I really don't like the gas burning experience - sounds like a helicopter and makes me feel like I'm on cocaine. (at least, what I imagine that's like)

Can I simply pull out the fake logs and burn wood on the grate? The logs are not all stuck together - I could pull them all out - and then it has the propane burner beneath the gate kinda buried in small rocks. See pics.

I realize that the nice rocks underneath would get covered in ash etc. I think what I would do is clear them out and probably cover the propane burner with slate or something if posible to protect it (I'm renting, so would want to restore it as much as possible later).

I would think that whoever converted it (a professional company) just left the vent/flu the same? (or no?) ..

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

L

IMG-9064.jpgIMG-9065.jpgIMG-9067.jpgIMG-9068.jpg

We can not say from a distance whether the fireplace and chimney are safe to burn wood. This will need a proper eyes-on-site inspection by a qualified professional. It should also be cleared first with the landlord. The home may not be insured for a wood-burning fireplace.

If I'm reading this right you're wanting to cover up the propane burner, and burn wood over top of this? Sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen.

Hello All,

Brand new to the forum - looks like I found a great place! I'm obsessed with burning wood, in the house and out of the house (safely). I just got a 1/4 cord of seasoned oak to burn in my firepit in the backyard.

Here's my question. The fireplace in my home was converted by a previous occupant from wood to gas. I really don't like the gas burning experience - sounds like a helicopter and makes me feel like I'm on cocaine. (at least, what I imagine that's like)

Can I simply pull out the fake logs and burn wood on the grate? The logs are not all stuck together - I could pull them all out - and then it has the propane burner beneath the gate kinda buried in small rocks. See pics.

I realize that the nice rocks underneath would get covered in ash etc. I think what I would do is clear them out and probably cover the propane burner with slate or something if posible to protect it (I'm renting, so would want to restore it as much as possible later).

I would think that whoever converted it (a professional company) just left the vent/flu the same? (or no?) ..

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

L

View attachment 297774View attachment 297775View attachment 297776View attachment 297777
It is possible but you need a full inspection and all of the gas components and gas line will need to be removed.

We can not say from a distance whether the fireplace and chimney are safe to burn wood. This will need a proper eyes-on-site inspection by a qualified professional. It should also be cleared first with the landlord. The home may not be insured for a wood-burning fireplace.
Got it. Thanks.

If I'm reading this right you're wanting to cover up the propane burner, and burn wood over top of this? Sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen.
Ok

It is possible but you need a full inspection and all of the gas components and gas line will need to be removed.
Got it. Why would the gas line need to be removed? I was at a retreat center once that had a propane burner beneath the wood in a fireplace. We used it to get the wood burning, and then turned it off. I suppose I assumed that this was normal since I was a kid and it was a retreat center (IE legitimate). Based on comments in this thread, it seems mixing propane and wood is not a good idea? ..

PS I think I will try to contact the company that did the conversion and see if they did anything to the chimney etc. Does anyone know if they typically alter the chimney when doing a gas conversion? .. My guess is they might permanently fix the flue open, since it needs to be vented as a gas fire (?) ..

The fireplace may have been converted to gas for a number of reasons. Convenience, ease of use, and less mess may have been the reason. Or it may have performed poorly as a fireplace. But safety might also have been a concern, especially if the chimney interior is degrading. It will take a full inspection of the chimney and fireplace to determine if it can return to wood service in its current condition after the gas line has been capped and turned off.