Fireplace Insert Fan Stopped Working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrippWest

Jan 28, 2021
Detroit
I'm a newbie and this is my first winter with my Napoleon Epic Oakdale wood-burning fireplace insert. The fan to circulate the air has stopped working. I plan on investigating the problem this weekend, but I suspect it may have more to do with my cleaning habits of the fireplace than an actual electrical failure. I've ordered an ash vacuum cleaner to use instead of my shop vac. What else should I be doing regularly to keep the fan in working order? Thanks.

I got it working by vacuuming it out. Not sure what the issue was, but I think maybe last time I didn't screw the frame back in tightly enough so the closed latch wasn't depressing the button?

Yes, it could be that the thermostatic snap switch was not making good contact with the insert body. It's a good idea to clean out the blower at least once or twice a season, especially on inserts where the fan intake is at hearth level, right under the ash lip. A lot of ash, dust and animal hairs can get sucked in. For this reason, always turn off the blower before cleaning ash out of the insert and clean up the ash dust on the ash lip and hearth before turning the blower back on.

Reactions: TrippWest