Fireplace insert - issues with complaining neighbors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can say right now if there is no wind and I burn in my fire pit the whole upstairs will smell like smoke for 2 days because the smoke goes right up to my eves and into the attic. If they added onto the house and its higher then your chimney then they will have the same issue when the wind is right.

I don't know how much more height you would need to add to get it above there house but if it isnt too much you could offer to try that if they want to pay for it.

Not sure this helpful but I have a split level house. my chimney is roughly 15 feet away from one of my attic vents ( and a a bathroom window). This setup is probably not ideal but it allows me to see if I’m burning clean or not can, as I can see the chimney clearly from the window.
I can’t recall ever smelling smoke that leaked into the house from this setup.

Last edited:
How about trying to reduce your smoke. 5 -10 minutes of full on start up smoke is nasty if it’s blowing in your face. Try the Top Down Fire starting technique. It will Greatly reduce your start up smoke output. Here’s how if you don’t know.

Again go talk to them face to face about it. Explain to them how the secondary combustion system works and give them the emissions data all without being condescending. An honest conversation can go a long way.
We had neighbors that took offense to our burning. Explaining how secondary combustion works wouldn't have reduced their annoyance at smelling our smoke (or occasionally smelling of our smoke.) Seems every time I started up the stove, they'd open their garage door and get a faceful of early stage combustion byproduct.

At one point they offered to partially (or completely) fund a switch to a pellet stove, which we politely declined. They also suggested that we extend our chimney by 15 feet, which I don't think would have had any positive effect, and possibly negative results.

The relationship went downhill from there.

Eventually we sold the house to a builder, who knocked it down and built a McMansion. I don't think the new owners are burners.

We moved to an area where a number of our neighbors have stoves. The houses are further apart, and the prevailing wind blows our smoke into woods behind our backyard...

Problem solved. :)

We had neighbors that took offense to our burning. Explaining how secondary combustion works wouldn't have reduced their annoyance at smelling our smoke (or occasionally smelling of our smoke.) Seems every time I started up the stove, they'd open their garage door and get a faceful of early stage combustion byproduct.

At one point they offered to partially (or completely) fund a switch to a pellet stove, which we politely declined. They also suggested that we extend our chimney by 15 feet, which I don't think would have had any positive effect, and possibly negative results.

The relationship went downhill from there.

Eventually we sold the house to a builder, who knocked it down and built a McMansion. I don't think the new owners are burners.

We moved to an area where a number of our neighbors have stoves. The houses are further apart, and the prevailing wind blows our smoke into woods behind our backyard...

Problem solved. :)
I am by no means saying having a conversation will always fix the problem or even help. But it is almost always worth a try

Reactions: avsmusic1
You aren't going to like what I have to say, but just providing a POV. I had a neighbor who would burn his outdoor fire pit constantly. Like 4-5 foot flames. I was East of him, and the second story of my house would inevitably get a direct hit from his fire smoke. My son was young then about 3 years old, and his room would constantly stink of firewood smoke. It was annoying. I tried to speak to this neighbor a few times about issues, but he was a lunkhead. I had many issues with him not respecting boundaries. I noticed his woods were very neat and clean, yet mine had piles of brush, leaves and junk in them...I had the woods surveyed and found that his wood piles were 30 feet on my property. He built a drainage system in his backyard, that directed water into my backyard. He put up floodlights that were facing my house that he'd leave on all night, and light up my house like a baseball field. I tried several times to address issues with him in a calm and matter of fact way, to no success. I'm just providing some input. I don't know if you'll be able to change their mind, especially if they are getting smoke smells in their house. But some neighbors can't ever be sufficed and are beyond reproach. My favorite day owning that house, was the day I sold it and moved out...LOL!

I am by no means saying having a conversation will always fix the problem or even help. But it is almost always worth a try

Agreed. The focus should be on minimizing their negative experience (versus explaining how stoves work...they aren't likely to care...).

Agreed. The focus should be on minimizing their negative experience (versus explaining how stoves work...they aren't likely to care...).
Some will care some won't. Now that I know they are getting smell in the house I doubt they will care.

I think this is an unintentionally good educational thread about getting into wood burning for new folks.

Sure it's your property and you can do as you wish as long as it's legal but there are lots of unforseen headaches that are worth researching before investing thousands of dollars on a stove. Like the neighbors example here...

How close are the neighbors or how dense is the neighborhood?
Are the neighbors friendly/supportive?
Which way does the prevailing wind blow? Where is your chimney in relation to other structures?

Obviously you can't always prepare or know these things will happen but they are just some good questions to ask besides the usual what stove can I fit and where can I keep my wood.

Living in a traditional neighborhood where the houses all sit on .3 acres or less, I can attest to the points being brought up here as very good, especially for people maybe thinking of getting into wood burning. Now I will admit, I did not do any research as to if burning wood at my house would be a PITA for everyone near me, but also thankfully I'm on a corner lot and no one's house is near my stove pipe. I'm sure the smoke drifts around the neighborhood on certain days but what can I do about that? Some things in my favor include a nearby neighbor who nearly uses his wood stove as much as me (do not know if he is a 24/7 burner) but I do see heat shimmers from his chimney every day so I would think yes. Another thing is my reloads occur at 5 am and 8 pm. During this time of year, not a lot of people going to be out and about walking or working in their yards. So even if I smoke a lot on start up, hardly anyone should notice. Haven't gotten any complaints yet (a lot of curious people like to talk to me) but I know what to do now should an issue ever occur.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
a lot of curious people like to talk to me

I get a ton of this too. Our street is very quiet so a lot of people walk by and if I'm out cutting wood in the driveway or just out with Gordon someone always stops to chat. Wood burning and giant dogs are novelties in some parts of the country!

"Wow that's a lot of wood"
"Wow that's a huge dog"

;lol

Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Bholler is right.

It would be good to at least try to talk with them. If that doesn't work, then you can grab the popcorn and see where it goes.

I don't think I would ever buy or build a house within a 1/4 mile of anyone, but if I did, I would meet them before buying/building So I knew what to expect and if I should even bother moving there.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Both me and my wife were raised in families used to enjoy the winters around a cozy fireplace. Now that we purchased our own home, for more than a decade we have been running firewood heat using a Travis (FireplaceX) high efficiency insert. What a fantastic piece of equipment!
However, we started having issues when some new neighbors moved in next door and started raising numerous complains about us burning firewood. They say it's a threat for the health of their children and we should stop immediately. We burn very dry and seasoned firewood (with time and mistakes I learned how and where to get the good one) and beside the first five minutes after we load the stove, the smoke is clear.

- Has any of you dealt with a similar issue? Can they potentially draw us into a lawsuit?
- Does anybody have a comparison study between smoke from a high efficiency wood burning stove and a natural gas furnace? Is it true that firewood smoke is such a threat?
- Firewood smoke sometimes carries that (pleasant I would say) smell of wood fire, is this a sign of pollution or the smell is not related to the pollution?

Any info would help since this issue is becoming quite annoying and I would like to end it.

Thanks a lot
How did you make out with your chitty neighbors?

ignore them do not talk to them do not email them. burn the best kiln dry wood and start fires fast with kindling and when they leave for the day burn the crap wood.
put a camera on the chimney so you can learn how to regulate smoke.

My gut says your neighbors are not going to be happy until you stop burning wood. That's on them. I think its sorta in your face for them to come ask you to stop burning. As long as you burn well seasoned wood, use an EPA stove to minimize smoke you are doing your part.

Reactions: MtSiBK
. I grew up in a neighborhood where the houses are jammed together like that. I would never want to go back to that for many reasons, including having to deal with neighbors 10-15 feet from me. If these folks were that paranoid about their kids health, they would have moved to the country. At this point, they could move out if they were so worried. But, they won’t and will more likely try to make your life hell, which I wouldn’t put up with at all.
I can imagine that it’s scary having people all up in your stuff like that but they really have no grounds to do any more than “ blow smoke” IMO.

Dang!
I thought I had “made it” going from a neighborhood of .2acre to .6 but you must be really out in woods

Yikes 0.2 acres is so small. You wouldn't be able to burn wood there would be nowhere to store it! Very nice upgrade.

I grew up on 0.5-0.75 ish and that's a nice yard in the suburbs. I'm on just over 1 acre now surrounded by woods on 3 sides and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't mind owning more woods but land is extremely expensive here.

My closest neighbor is also a quarter mile away. I have to drive there to get my mail because no one else lives on my road. It's not economical for them is what I was told. No wonder they're going bankrupt when they won't serve their customers. I also can't get trash service. I'm 22 miles from nearest town and it's still to close. A little over 100 acres bordering 9000 acres conservation land. Nice and quiet.