Fireplace insert - issues with complaining neighbors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And if my neighbor asked me that I would do.my best to keep quite so their kid could nap. I remember those days. It comes down to treating your neighbors with respect.

By the world revolves around them do you mean like ignoring a neighbors health concerns or the fact that they have a small child that needs naps. It goes both ways you know.

Wrong, as long as I am compliant with my local building codes and working hours, the problem is not mine, it’s hers, if she wanted to have quiet times mid day, midweek then she probably should not have moved to Long Island NY..maybe a nice farm , 10 acres, in rural NH would have better suited her, The town, and all my other neighbors agree, she has been labeled “the crazy lady”

Have you actually talked to them in person about the issue? Listen to their concerns have the data on your stoves emissions available for them and just try to be the good neighbor who listens to their concerns
Agreed. And carry on with what you’re doing if in fact your burning clean and responsibly. These neighbors sound like nightmares.

Reactions: MR. GLO and bholler
Wrong, as long as I am compliant with my local building codes and working hours, the problem is not mine, it’s hers, if she wanted to have quiet times mid day, midweek then she probably should not have moved to Long Island NY..maybe a nice farm , 10 acres, in rural NH would have better suited her, The town, and all my other neighbors agree, she has been labeled “the crazy lady”
Possibly because her kids can't nap. That will drive anyone crazy. Showing others respect doesn't fix everything but it sure can make lots of things much better. Even when I lived in Philly I was friendly with all of my neighbors if they asked me for a favor I tried to accommodate them as best I could. And they all did the same for me.

Reactions: stoveliker
Agreed. And carry on with what you’re doing if in fact your burning clean and responsibly. These neighbors sound like nightmares.
Yes ultimately that is certainly what I would do regardless

Possibly because her kids can't nap. That will drive anyone crazy. Showing others respect doesn't fix everything but it sure can make lots of things much better. Even when I lived in Philly I was friendly with all of my neighbors if they asked me for a favor I tried to accommodate them as best I could. And they all did the same for me.

Same here, I’m good with all my neighbors, Hell, I just cleaned the snow for a couple of them. But every neighborhood has at least one nut, and I’m betting that the TS just had one move in, we will see..

What you seem to miss is that he said "treat each other with respect", and that has nothing to do with whether you are legally in your rights, but everything with - well, respect leading to good relations. And even if they don't have respect for you, in your eyes, life will still be better if you don't treat them in the same disrespectful way as they do you.

Random question but did these neighbors introduce themselves to you or vice versa once they got moved in? If this is their first words to you, then I’m sorry but I imagine they will be an ongoing headache.
About the lawsuit thing you asked, I suppose anyone could try to sue anybody for anything. However, justifying in a court that your smoke caused illness to their kids seems like a stretch.
I’d make it a point to be as polite as possible, of course. However, I would not answer to any repeated “concerns” that just amounted to them harassing you should that occur. You always the ability to take things to a third party, should this go in that direction. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
What you seem to miss is that he said "treat each other with respect", and that has nothing to do with whether you are legally in your rights, but everything with - well, respect leading to good relations. And even if they don't have respect for you, in your eyes, life will still be better if you don't treat them in the same disrespectful way as they do you.

I don’t think I was being disrespectful to anyone by working at my house on a weekday afternoon..so no I don’t get it. I was minding my own business making a beautiful outdoor fireplace for my family.
To walk on my property and expect me to send my guys home without pay so your kids can sleep is pretty disrespectful.

I think I'm going to ask my neighbor about this next time I see him, I'm curious how often he actually smells smoke. I'm in the suburbs but in a pretty rural spot in my particular town. He is my only direct neighbor and I'd have to really chuck a baseball to hit his house. My guess is rarely even though I burn 24/7 as the prevailing wind blows from him towards me.

He's a good guy that I get along well with and has two kids that are 7 and 11. He'll give me an honest answer. Like I said earlier though he's always supportive when he sees me working 5 cords of logs in my driveway. I've even said in passing "oh sorry about all the chainsaw noise" when I've been running it for 6 hours on a weekday and it's anyways a "oh no worries" type response so I suspect I know the answer already.

Been burning for years. Neighbors have never said anything. like others that have posted, there is only about 5 minutes of smoke upon reload. My land also abuts a cemetary along the back yard and the wind tends to blow in that direction in the winter.

Tell the neighbor..."I heat my house with wood. I can stop and I'll bring you the heating portion of my utility bill...you can pay me."

Reactions: MtSiBK and GENECOP
I say.. F@%k them.. Burning is a way of life for me.. so don't ask me to change how I live.. My neighbors do some things that I wouldn't do or like .. But I'd never say anything.. as long as its on there side of the property line.. If you don't like what's coming out my stack then F@%king move....

All of my neighbors within smell range (6 total houses) burn wood.

The one (upwind of me) that burns in an old smoke dragon that loves to let it smolder all day and night, I've educated and shown him my setup (NC30 and insert inside). Just said that's nice no smoke and continued on his way.

Doesn't bother me much, country boy, but I just smirk when I see him every night bringing in a wheel barrel load of wood when that same load (mine dry) would last me 4 days.

The only thing I've heard any of my neighbors say is that the smell (which he likes) might make him become an alcoholic. He associates the smell of burning with drinking around a campfire.

Couldn't agree with BHoller's advice more

Do you have the Hybrid-Fyre model?
That's a a pretty darn low emission stove. This may not be the right way to compare so take it w/ a grain of salt but per the first link below that insert has an emission rate of .58gr/hr and per the 2nd link a Subaru Outback releases an average of 308 grams per mile.

https://www.rochesterfireplace.com/wood-products/wood-inserts/large-flush-wood/

I don't think these two corelate. I think the car test measures total output of CO2 whereas the stove test measures particulate matter mass not CO2 mass. If so, the stoves output would be a much higher number.

Reactions: avsmusic1
I don't think these two corelate. I think the car test measures total output of CO2 whereas the stove test measures particulate matter mass not CO2 mass. If so, the stoves output would be a much higher number.
Good point. I’d expect the measures correlate but wouldn’t be shocked if they weren’t identical. I was supposing it could be a worthwhile comparison just because it’s the primary measure used by the EPA. In other words, the governing body / authority on the matter chose these as the important measurement for what these folks care about - air pollutants.
I’d be interested to see a true apples to apples though.

It's certainly not going to hurt anything to try and talk to them about it. Do I think the conversation will lead to a mutual understanding no, considering that she made it a point to tell him he needs to stop burning. She sounds to be very domineering and as we say here, "stand offish". The reason I would consult a attorney is you never know how that conversation may go. To be honest I would record it lol. Yeah I know I'm crazy but It never hurts to know your rights and the laws beforehand and have as many facts as possible. As far as cynical @bholler....come on man, I'm from the show me state lol. I agree with you though, at the end of the day I believe a person should treat others as they wish to be treated. That's a quality of folks that is fleeting in the world as a whole. Keep it civil......who knows maybe she will come around to being on board with you burning.

P.s.: Don't tell her tgfh....that isn't going to help your case if she gets an attorney but I'm sure you know that.

Community, thanks for your suggestion and tips. I did not expect my thread to become so popular.
I have decided to communicate with them via email and keep the tones very reasonable. In this way I have records of the conversations in case the situation escalates.

I sent them the emission data of my FPX insert and the EPA approval. I suggested them to have their second floor extension inspected by a professional. When they built the extension they put the attic vents right next to my chimney and I think that is the source of the problems. I am not sure they will do anything about it but I think I kept the conversation on a decent and constructive tone.

Let's see how this evolves.

Thanks again

Community, thanks for your suggestion and tips. I did not expect my thread to become so popular.
I have decided to communicate with them via email and keep the tones very reasonable. In this way I have records of the conversations in case the situation escalates.

I sent them the emission data of my FPX insert and the EPA approval. I suggested them to have their second floor extension inspected by a professional. When they built the extension they put the attic vents right next to my chimney and I think that is the source of the problems. I am not sure they will do anything about it but I think I kept the conversation on a decent and constructive tone.

Let's see how this evolves.

Thanks again
Oh I didn't realize they were getting smell in their house. To me that changes the issue some. I still don't think you are in the wrong but it does make their concerns seem a bit more valid. Although I agree with your idea of them having the addition inspected. How close is the addition to your chimney

Oh I didn't realize they were getting smell in their house. To me that changes the issue some. I still don't think you are in the wrong but it does make their concerns seem a bit more valid. Although I agree with your idea of them having the addition inspected. How close is the addition to your chimney

Agreed. I thought we were talking about kids playing outside and getting a whiff of some smoke once in a while. I'd go about communicating with you very differently but I'd be pretty unhappy with smoke smell inside my house too.

Their addition being close and/or improperly vented sounds like a probably cause.

Well their story is often changing... initially they said they were smelling smoke in the upstairs bedrooms of their kids. Then when I suggested to have their home inspected by a professional they said the issue is not only with the bedrooms but also with the outside....

Now I recommended them again to have an inspection. My chimney carries also the liner of the furnace so, if by accident my furnace nozzles went bad, they could have gases in their bedrooms coming from a different source. So this must be a real concern from them independently from my fireplace.

I really think their home addition has some issues. Their home was a single story ranch and 15-20 yrs ago the previous owner built this "royal palace" extension taller than my chimney. Our homes are pretty close, I would say the alley is 10-12 ft.

I think I have done all the best to be a good neighbor respectful of the community

Reactions: stoveliker
My mom grew up in a similar type neighborhood in NJ. The houses were spaced apart by the width of a driveway. It can be tight quarters and rough with a PITA neighbor. I think you're doing everything to can...keep us updated!

This thread reminds me how lucky I am to be surrounded by woods on 3 sides and my one neighbor is upwind over 100 feet away even though I'm in a pretty heavily populated suburb. One of the reasons we picked this spot.

Well their story is often changing... initially they said they were smelling smoke in the upstairs bedrooms of their kids. Then when I suggested to have their home inspected by a professional they said the issue is not only with the bedrooms but also with the outside....

Now I recommended them again to have an inspection. My chimney carries also the liner of the furnace so, if by accident my furnace nozzles went bad, they could have gases in their bedrooms coming from a different source. So this must be a real concern from them independently from my fireplace.

I really think their home addition has some issues. Their home was a single story ranch and 15-20 yrs ago the previous owner built this "royal palace" extension taller than my chimney. Our homes are pretty close, I would say the alley is 10-12 ft.

I think I have done all the best to be a good neighbor respectful of the community

Any chance you can provide a picture to show the chimney vs. their addition? Sorry if I've missed this from earlier in the thread.
I am vested to know what resolution will be had out this quandary.