fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardog

Oct 4, 2015
Ct
I'm trying to find a wood burning Fireplace insert that will fit my small firebox. Front opening is 29 3/4" x29". Depth at bottom is 17". Depth at top is 13". Hearth is 44 1/2" x14". Anyone know of a manufacturer or model that will fit? Thank you

Welcome. That's not too small, at least there is a good lintel height. A mid-sized insert like the Lopi Revere should fit. The hearth would need a protective extension regardless of choice. It needs to extend 16" in front of the stove glass. Another option would be to put a rear-vent stove on the extended hearth if the goal is maximum heat.

How large an area would the stove be heating and how open is the fireplace area to the rest of the rooms on this floor?

Welcome!

Some more info (area to be heated, insulation level, budget etc) and a pic would help.

Simply based on the dimensions you can look at the following: Lopi Republic 1750, Quadrafire 3100, BlazeKing Princess, Napoleon 1402. Those should all have a chance of fitting in there. Critical will be the depth at the top of the insert. Width and height should be ok for a medium-sized insert, while the Princess should be considered a large one.

Welcome. That's not too small, at least there is a good lintel height. A mid-sized insert like the Lopi Revere should fit. The hearth would need a protective extension regardless of choice. It needs to extend 16" in front of the stove glass. Another option would be to put a rear-vent stove on the extended hearth if the goal is maximum heat.

How large an area would the stove be heating and how open is the fireplace area to the rest of the rooms on this floor?

Thank you for the info. The house is around 2000 sq ft. and fairly open. I'd like to run the central air on just fan to distribute the heat. It would be supplemental to keep the oil under control. What would be used to extend the hearth?

There are hearth extension boards you can buy or one can be built on site to the insert specification. There are many threads here on building one's own hearth with several examples of different materials used.
http://www.hearthclassics.com/
Inserts will have a blower that may be adequate for distributing the heat. The heating system blower may cool down the heated air too much. Oil furnace ducting is often quite lossy.

I've been looking since getting all the great info here at the forum. Having a hard time finding something that fits. I realize I left out an important dimension. The back wall of the firebox is 19". With that added info does anyone know of an insert that will fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.