Fireplace newbie with repair questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

commodore_dude

Feb 11, 2015
Alpharetta, GA
Greetings all, I've read through many of the stickied threads at the top of this forum so I hope this post is OK! I purchased my home about 6 years ago and haven't touched the fireplace at all until now, when I decided it was probably a good idea to see if it was usable and familiarize myself with doing so in case of a power and gas outage. It's a wood fireplace with a gas starter. I had a chimney inspection and sweeping done today since that had never been done, and while the inspector said the chimney itself seems to be in fine shape and wasn't very dirty, there were a few elements of the firebox itself that he wants to repair.

First, he pointed out a couple of small cracks in the masonry (which seems to be a thin insert) that should be sealed, which I'm fine with. He also wants to paint the entire insert as well as the gas burner with high-temp paint, as the gas burner has some rust spots which I assume are from previous roof leaks (I had the roof replaced shortly after buying the house) as there is definitely no water coming into the chimney now. What I'm not as sure about, and what really confused him as well, were these holes along the bottom of the insert:

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

There is also a hole in the siding right next to where the fireplace is:

IMG_0247.JPG

I've just always assumed that somehow all of these holes connect to a duct that feeds to this outside intake, but the inspector said he'd never seen this arrangement before and he thinks that some part of it was modified after the house was built 30 years ago and now it's useless. He thinks the holes present a danger of fire getting out of the firebox through them and starting a fire outside the insert. He wants to seal up all of the holes in the insert, at which point I suppose I'd just use spray foam to seal up the outdoor end as well. Does that make sense? I've seen conflicting information about whether an outdoor air source is even useful, and as near as I can tell from searching local code it isn't a requirement here. I can definitely take more pictures but I'm not sure how much more information I can provide, since I don't know the brand/model of the insert, or anything like that.

That looks like outside air for combustion. Never saw the three hole deal either. make sure you have a screen on the end outside. If that was my fireplace, I wouldn't bother with the cracks, based on what I am seeing in the photos. And painting where its rusted is fine, if you take the time to wires brush/remove all the rust prior to painting. I'd talk to a code enforcer prior to sealing up any outside air and if you did seal it, I'd use refractory cement.

Reactions: mellow and bholler
I would remove that gas line, that thing looks sketchy.

From the looks of the holes being low like that it was someones attempt at a cold air intake for the fire, you more than likely have a steel or masonry box that the fireplace was put in to make those paths for the cold air, no doubt that thing has to let critters into your living space.

I would follow fsappo's advice on sealing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.