Fireplace tools: I assume I will need a set. But what's really essential?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made all my tools so cost was not prohibitive. Never use the poker since I fabbed up the rake and use the shovel to clean out. Picked up a cheap hand broom/brush and dust pan at the dollar store and a $20 baby shop vac at wally world for around the hearth. Made a sweet coal sifter and would give it away if it wasn't so big to ship. Just find it a waste of time for me.

Steel bucket is essential!
I bought a kid's steel rake at Menards and cut the handle shorter and painted it black. $5.99 and it works and looks great.

With my Jotul F55 I have no ash pan. So I assume I'll need the shovel and an ash can. But do you really need all the other tools? I'm not opposed to having a full set of fireplace tools. I'm just betting the old pros have some good practical tips for ash maintenance and manipulating a live fire and coals. What tools do you like and what techniques simplify your wood stove experience that might not occur to someone with no experience?
I bought a kid's steel rake with a wood handle at Menards and cut the handle shorter and painted it black. $5.99 and it works and looks great.

I bought a kid's steel rake with a wood handle at Menards and cut the handle shorter and painted it black. $5.99 and it works and looks great.

Wood handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.