Fireplace xtrordinair or Lopi Large hybrid vs NexGen Fyre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
Anybody running the NexGen Fyre model? I have the generation prior, which uses a catalyst. The NexGen does not use a catalyst. I do not like all the maintenance that my catalyst requires. Any feedback on the NexGen? Anybody know how the two compare as far as burn times or BTUs?

My FPX requires zero maint, only when I brush do I clean it and put in new interam gasket. Burns bright orange and no smoke in stack so working perfectly. What maint are you doing?

My FPX requires zero maint, only when I brush do I clean it and put in new interam gasket. Burns bright orange and no smoke in stack so working perfectly. What maint are you doing?
I think that is the problem, we have different units. I have the Large Flush Hybrid Fyre insert. I know another member on here has problems with it where flames lick the cat. As a result, he made a flame deflector out of metal mesh. I did the same and I do believe that helps with the flame licking. But, flame licking absolutely destroys the ceramic cats in short order. My first cat lasted one season before it was all cracked. The last ceramic, I got two years out of it. But, it was completely destroyed. I now have the steel cat and that lasts much longer. But, i hear they clog a little faster.
The new design of this insert does not use a cat. I have been around long enough to know that likely has to do with way too many warranty claims on cats for the previous design. This is a beautiful insert, but damn, it destroys catalysts.
I use this thing all winter, 24/7. I burn dry wood. I have a moisture meter. I am not buying that is the issue. I have a tall chimney, with a 30ft liner. I am sure I have a strong draft, which may contribute to the flame licking. I keep the air control at 60-80% closed for most of my burns. I try to keep the cat temps 1000-1250 degrees. I have spoke with the manufacturer of the cats, they approve of that. They claim 1400 is totally fine. They want hot fires in order for the cat to clean itself.
But, one of my problems is that I choke it down when I leave for work. When I get home 8 hours later, the cat is engaged, fire cold and cat temps at only 200 ish. They say that can clog the cat. So, I will try to be mindful and make sure I get the next fire nice and hot.

As far as maintenance, I treat this thing like a Ferrari and my father, who is not mechanically inclined, would have had this thing removed years ago. I have an auto detail attachment that I hook up to my ash vac. I vacuum the cat almost daily when I get home from work. It only takes about a minute. That is all I really do. I then have to take the cat out after about two months and do a full pipe cleaner cleaning of all 3000 cells, which takes about 2 hours. I then put on a new gasket and put it back in. I get mixed information with regards to compressed air. But, when I had the cat out 2 days ago, I hit it with a light cleaning with canned compressed air for a computer. I think that is fine and will likely add this to my repertoire. But, I may have to make some sort of adapter for the hose because I don't think I can hit the cat directly from below.

Any suggestions? I love the look of this insert. I like it a lot when it works. But, it plugs steel cats way to fast and ceramic cats are like just throwing in a lamb to be slaughtered. I will sell the brand new ceramic cat I have in the basement to fund my next steel cat.

I put ~3 cords a year thru mine. I only use supercedars (never paper/cardboard) and ammin for wood, which is really dry. Steel cat is honestly 7+ years and I figure as long as it's still kicking out heat, no smoke in stack, and glowing orange, it must be working. On startup/reload I keep bypass at 50/50 until if I close it I can't see any smoke then will finally close all the way. Maybe run a brush over the cat once a month or so for some fly ash, and only clean once a season with air, and not too aggressive, I can see straight thru cells all the time, and generally just don't touch it. IR gun shows me at cruising range of 650, and air control is maybe half as well. What wood you burning, do you see smoke?

Anybody running the NexGen Fyre model? I have the generation prior, which uses a catalyst. The NexGen does not use a catalyst. I do not like all the maintenance that my catalyst requires. Any feedback on the NexGen? Anybody know how the two compare as far as burn times or BTUs?
Yes, I have the Lopi Large Flush Insert - NexGen (no catalyst). Purchased in 2020, so I'm on my 3rd season with it. Its a great unit. Is there anything specific you're wanting to know about it?

Yes, I have the Lopi Large Flush Insert - NexGen (no catalyst). Purchased in 2020, so I'm on my 3rd season with it. Its a great unit. Is there anything specific you're wanting to know about it?
I was wondering what you thought of it and was wondering if there is anybody that has compared the cat version, that I have, to the non-cat that you have. I wonder if the non cat puts out the same heat and has the same burn times. If it can do the same, then it is a major improvement! Cats are not cheap and the maintenance on this thing is not simple. I need to remove mine 2x per season to clean it. I am going to try a light compressed air cleaning tomorrow.
I believe the units are the exact same physical size. I think they even use the same fans. My unit has a cat temp probe. Is there any probe on the new units to get an objective measurement of what kind of heat it is putting out? Thanks.

I also have a lopi large unseet purchased in 2021 no cat version. It works fine no issues the return baffles seem to do a good job. The cat is supposed to give you longer burns. Mine I'm getting 7-8 hours of heat enough for an overnight burn maybe 9.

I believe there are specific start up procedures regarding a cat. Also I was at the lopi dealer few month ago inquiring about a second insert and was told the new model will be hybrid.

I also have a lopi large unseet purchased in 2021 no cat version. It works fine no issues the return baffles seem to do a good job. The cat is supposed to give you longer burns. Mine I'm getting 7-8 hours of heat enough for an overnight burn maybe 9.

I believe there are specific start up procedures regarding a cat. Also I was at the lopi dealer few month ago inquiring about a second insert and was told the new model will be hybrid.
When you say hybrid, are you saying that they are going back to what they had, where there is a cat and re-burn tubes?

I was wondering what you thought of it and was wondering if there is anybody that has compared the cat version, that I have, to the non-cat that you have. I wonder if the non cat puts out the same heat and has the same burn times. If it can do the same, then it is a major improvement! Cats are not cheap and the maintenance on this thing is not simple. I need to remove mine 2x per season to clean it. I am going to try a light compressed air cleaning tomorrow.
I believe the units are the exact same physical size. I think they even use the same fans. My unit has a cat temp probe. Is there any probe on the new units to get an objective measurement of what kind of heat it is putting out? Thanks.
I can't compare the two, since I have only had the non-cat version, but its a great unit and I'm really happy with it. I have no problem getting 8-10 hour burns when I want to. I'm burning all hardwood, mostly oak. The splits are pretty big. I cut my wood 3 years ahead so I can have big (and dry) splits for those overnight burns.

As far as heat output, I would think the non-cat version has equal or greater high heat. The cat version would be more likely to perform better at low btu output. For me, its a non-issue. I typically only burn when its cold enough to be worth it to me. I just let the heat pumps handle it when its in the mid 40's or 50's. By the way, I'm heating roughly 3,000 sq ft and it has no problem at all.

It does not have a temp probe built in, but I have an Auber mounted to the flu collar. I'm not sure that would give you any useable data for the comparison you're trying to make. You might be able to find the BTU ratings of the hybrid and the next gen fyre from Travis Industries, or on the EPA website.

I am on my 6th year of the cat version being my main source of heat in NY. I burn about 8 cords a year. I love the way it looks and I really like the unit a lot, when the cat isn't clogged. It clogs after about 2 months for me and becomes almost useless. I then spend the 2-3 hours cleaning it and it works great again. Yesterday, I tried something different and I used very light compressed air to clean it in place. That is at the two week since last cleaning mark. I will see if a VERY light blow down will help. If they are truly going back to the cat version, then I imagine it will be a different design. The current design also gets licked by flames way to easily. Another member on here made a flame deflector and I use the same idea. This thing will destroy ceramic cats in 1-2 seasons for me.
I had to grease one fan for the first time a couple weeks ago. I ordered 2 new fans as back up. From what i understand, once they start squealing and you need to grease, they are on their way out.
Thanks.

I spoke with Travis today and there does not seem to be any real plan to change the design at the moment. It sounds like the two stoves are almost identical, except the catalyst. Would any of you be willing to snap a picture of the firebox? I am particularly interested in the number of reburn tubes and the box above them. I have a two rods on mine. One that controls the air, located at the bottom and one the engages the cat, located above the door. It seems like the non cat version has a rod above the door as well. What does it do. Also, the BTU ratings system may have changed. But, the cat version is 83,220 BTU and non cat is listed at 66,736 BTU. But, the rating system could have changed for all I know. I have 3 reburn tubes below the cat.

I think the non cat and cat versions are almost identical. They both have the ceramic combustor and bypass. The new hybrids have the coating in the combustor which makes it a CAT. I just got my new one and it's got two air tubes.

I think the non cat and cat versions are almost identical. They both have the ceramic combustor and bypass. The new hybrids have the coating in the combustor which makes it a CAT. I just got my new one and it's got two air tubes.
This is a Medium Flush NexGen Fyre (tube) non-cat stove. Travis is currently phasing these out and are now producing their NexGen Hybrid, with tubes and cat.

It does have a bypass, currently pictured in the open position. It also has more than two secondary air tubes.

When I closed it, I did not see a combustor. It was a solid plate

This one is leftover stock at a stove store I visited yesterday
20240118_123249.jpg

Reactions: hoot
Great thread - thanks everyone for sharing your experience. Being on the fence between older non-cat and new hybrid, this info is very helpful. Too bad we don't have much info on the new hybrid yet... @hoot is the only person I know has it and his burning season seems to be over right after he finished his install.

Based on what I saw in the manuals and in stores, the newer hybrid has just 2 tubes and its cat sits closer to the center, further from the door. The older hybrid model seems to have three tubes and its cat seem to sit closer to the door - see "Bypass Operation" section on page. Finally, the non-hybrid has 4 tubes total. Here are the manuals and their pics:

- Old hybrid model (page 18)
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 00.08.51.png

- Non-hybrid (no cat) model (page 19)
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 00.12.12.png

- New hybrid model (page 17)
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 00.12.24.png

Would any of you be willing to snap a picture of the firebox? I am particularly interested in the number of reburn tubes and the box above them.
I can share with few pics as well. I took them few days ago in a fireplace store where they had an older non-cat and a newer hybrid models.

Here is how the non-cat model looks like (I'm leaning toward that one for now):
Non-Hybrid-.JPG

Here is the new Hybrid:
Hybrid-.JPG

Before I saw the pics, I thought they just added a cat to these 4 tubes. So I thought even if it's broken/clogged, the tubes will make the stove efficient. But in this case there are just 2 tubes, so the smoke exits to the chimney quicker. Therefore, it feels like if the cat is broken, the stove won't be as efficient as its predecessor without the cat... That's why I'm leaning towards the non-cat version. Based on what @BrianVA and @Niro said, it looks like overnight burn is possible with those and they should be a great stove insert for my 2700 sq ft house. (expect lot of videos and photos when I get it! :) )

Thanks for the pics and info. I decided on the latest model for the $2k tax credit. I agree with all of the observations that the full non-cat version with the four tubes is a good choice if you can still get it. Here in East Texas we don't burn as much so I'm not too concerned about maintenance and combustor replacement. They sure did go through a bunch of iterations over the last few years.

Reactions: yuryk
If you guys are curious... Sent the following question to Lopi support:
I can't decide Large Flush Wood insert for my fireplace between NextGen-Fyre (non-cat) and NextGen-Hybrid (newer cat model). Besides less emissions, what are the other advantages of hybrid? Do you have any comparison videos you could share? Also, since I'm a beginner in burning wood, what if I somehow break the cat in NextGen-Hybrid - will its 2 reburn tubes still be as efficient 4 tubes of the NextGen-Fyre? Did you measure its efficiency/emissions in this case? Thanks
and got the following reply:
The NexGen Fyre is the old model has no Catalytic Combustor and doesn’t pass the Biomass Tax Credit standard. The New NexGen Hybrid does pass the tax credit and has a Combustor. When the old NexGen Fyre units are sold out of retail location only the new one will be available. Some places are selling the new model others may still have old stock they are selling through. We has a manufacturer are only producing the new Hybrid model and I believe that’s what is currently shipping out of the factory. It has better efficiency and slightly better burn time. The unit shouldn’t be operated without the catalytic combustor it will need replaced if something happens to it. The airtubes will not burn effectively and you may damage the unit.

This answer is very helpful for me personally. I will go with the older model.

This is a Medium Flush NexGen Fyre (tube) non-cat stove. Travis is currently phasing these out and are now producing their NexGen Hybrid, with tubes and cat.

It does have a bypass, currently pictured in the open position. It also has more than two secondary air tubes.

When I closed it, I did not see a combustor. It was a solid plate

This one is leftover stock at a stove store I visited yesterday View attachment 323278
Firestarters???