Fireview first break in fire damage to rear panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciccio

Apr 5, 2011
new jersey
This evening I decided to do my first break in fire, I kept the fire under 250 stove top temp just like Ron from woodstock instucted me to do, everything was going great til I hear this pop then I look into the glass and I see two white things in the back panel, I open the door and I then see the damage to the back panel, I hope you can see the picture i upload because this is my first post with a picture. I just emailed Ron from woodstock so I will wait and see what he says..This was my only fear about buying a stove from woodstock because the are about five hours away from me...I know they will make it right I'm not worried about that its the shipping back of the stove that is the hassel as you all know the stove is very heavy...I will just wait and see what Ron tells me, and I will post a picture of my stove soon I hope...

Attachments

• P1010705.jpg
    P1010705.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 973
What, exactly, is the damage you are referring to. I dunno........I just don't see what the problem is. Yes, I see the "white" spots. What are they? Something that would prevent further burns??? I hear "pop" sounds all the time, EVERY time I burn.....it's the metal heating up and expanding (when getting hot) and retracting (when getting cold). Not unusual.

-Soupy1957

Could you describe the damage? From the picture I cannot tell if there is a crack in the stone. To me it just looks like white residue from the kindling material below.

Expansion and contraction are normal in all stoves, some more than others.. I find my new T-5 noisier than my CDW.. I can't see any damage in that pic you posted perhaps try another pic different angle? If something is wrong I'm sure Woodstock will back their stove so don't worry about that..

Ray

Maybe a bit of the stone's face fell off? If that is what happened, I don't think it is an issue. I looked over the pic with magnification and can't see anything.

Matt

I took a good look at the 'marks' on the stove as well. I did not see anything out of the ordinary. No cracks, no craftsmanship issues. I do know, as others have already posted, that from the beginning of break-in fires to today your going to get constant movement of the metal parts, noises from heating up to the cooling down process. From what you have told us and what we can see, I don't know if you have anything wrong.

fire_man said:
Could you describe the damage? From the picture I cannot tell if there is a crack in the stone. To me it just looks like white residue from the kindling material below.

Sorry the picture does not show up well I had to resize the picture. The damage is in the middle of the firebox toward the top that is a big piece of stone that broke off along with below it towards the right another piece of stone that blew out, I dont know if that is normal for a piece of stone to break off that much with a fire that was so low stove top temp below 250...I am not concerned with the popping noise I know stoves make noise that noise I heard was the popping of the stone. I will wait to see what Ron says from woodstock....I know everyone will now ask how deep is it the piece that broke off all I can say is it not all the way thru the stone coz I know its 1 1/2 inch thick but it is a pretty good chunck that came out.

This happened to my Fireview on my first fire but it was on the inside far side stone. I heard that pop and after the fire died down I noticed a chunk of stone gone about the size of a half dollar and maybe 1/8" deep. I was worried as well but Woodstock said it happens sometimes because of the trapped moisture inside some stone. I just kept an eye on it and it never got any worse for the next 5 years.

ciccio said:
all I can say is it not all the way thru the stone coz I know its 1 1/2 inch thick.

Woodstock stoves use a double wall system where no part of the stone is near 1.5" thick. I believe that the inner wall is maybe half that. The hearthstones are the thick wall stoves at 1.25" everywhere.

In the concrete world we would call that damage spalling.

ok sorry the inside stone is 1 1/8 thick

Highbeam said:
ciccio said:
all I can say is it not all the way thru the stone coz I know its 1 1/2 inch thick.

Woodstock stoves use a double wall system where no part of the stone is near 1.5" thick. I believe that the inner wall is maybe half that. The hearthstones are the thick wall stoves at 1.25" everywhere.

Wow! A whole 1/8" thicker than Woodstock's inner layer, good thing Woodstock has that extra 3/4" outside layer. ;-P

ciccio said:
This evening I decided to do my first break in fire, I kept the fire under 250 stove top temp just like Ron from woodstock instucted me to do, everything was going great til I hear this pop then I look into the glass and I see two white things in the back panel, I open the door and I then see the damage to the back panel, I hope you can see the picture i upload because this is my first post with a picture. I just emailed Ron from woodstock so I will wait and see what he says..This was my only fear about buying a stove from woodstock because the are about five hours away from me...I know they will make it right I'm not worried about that its the shipping back of the stove that is the hassel as you all know the stove is very heavy...I will just wait and see what Ron tells me, and I will post a picture of my stove soon I hope...

I just spoke to Ron from woodstock I have two options I could ship the stove back and they will replace the rear panel, or send this stove back and they will ship me a new one back, what a great and fast service woodstock gives you...I dont know what I will do yet have them replace the stone or let them send a new one. Maybe Todd or Backwoods can let me know what they would do?

Todd said:
Highbeam said:
ciccio said:

Wow! A whole 1/8" thicker than Woodstock's inner layer, good thing Woodstock has that extra 3/4" outside layer. ;-P

LOL Todd

Todd said:
This happened to my Fireview on my first fire but it was on the inside far side stone. I heard that pop and after the fire died down I noticed a chunk of stone gone about the size of a half dollar and maybe 1/8" deep. I was worried as well but Woodstock said it happens sometimes because of the trapped moisture inside some stone. I just kept an eye on it and it never got any worse for the next 5 years.

That was my suspicion. Somewhere way back in time a small droplet of water got encased in the clays that eventually compressed and became stone. You may have witnessed an ordivician firework. Your stove is celebrating it's arrival. :) If it gets no worse, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if there is a prehistoric M80 in that stone, it will need replacement.

If it was mine I probably would just make sure it was documented with Woodstock and just burn.

Well, I kept mine but the damage was only the size of a half dollar. How deep and big is the damage? Can't tell from the pics, is there a whole chunk you can measure.

I think I'd ask for a new stove, it may take longer if they have to take it apart and replace the stone.

My Keystone doesn't/didn't creek or pop at all (knock on wood). If I were you, I'd have woodstock send a new stove and use the crate to pack-up and return the old stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Or, just tell them you'd like to hold off on deciding until closer to the end of the warranty period. If you burn it this winter and no more problems, keep it. If you see further damage, then send it back. Just make sure that they have it documented (maybe a certified letter?).

ciccio said:
ciccio said:

I just spoke to Ron from woodstock I have two options I could ship the stove back and they will replace the rear panel, or send this stove back and they will ship me a new one back, what a great and fast service woodstock gives you...I dont know what I will do yet have them replace the stone or let them send a new one. Maybe Todd or Backwoods can let me know what they would do?

Thank you for your confidence. Based on what Todd has stated it appears it would be no problem. However, in the end you have to go with how you feel and I'd also lean pretty heavy on Ron's advise as he is extremely knowledgeable. He will not lead you wrong. If you prefer a new stove I'm sure Woodstock will accomodate you. Perhaps if it were me, I'd do two more break-in fires. The first being to get the stove to 250-275 and the next to get it up to 400. Check the stove after each burn and see if there is any more damage and then make a determination.

I doubt this is a big problem but as stated, Woodstock will work with you on this one. And on the heavy stove, just a little hint; use a piano dolly and moving that beast is pretty darned easy. We had to go up onto the porch and then turn and then another step into the house and then to the hearth. It was only half the work we figured it would be. Also, we did not uncrate the stove until we got it to the hearth.

Good luck.

Todd said:
Highbeam said:
ciccio said:

1.125" is not 1.500" but is much thicker than the 0.750" that I thought it was. That outer 3/4" layer should prevent a failed inner layer from being a really big deal. Kinda like a double walled hull on a ship.

Fantastic service from WS on this one. Repair or replace at the option of the owner is great. Remember that to replace that stone might mean a pretty big teardown of the stove. If you opt to do anything about this then I would opt for a replacement.

Todd said:
Well, I kept mine but the damage was only the size of a half dollar. How deep and big is the damage? Can't tell from the pics, is there a whole chunk you can measure.

I think I'd ask for a new stove, it may take longer if they have to take it apart and replace the stone.

Todd I measured the top chunk it is about 2 1/4 inch long by 1/2 at widest part as for the depth their is a part that i would say that is more than a 1/8 inch deep other spot that is damaged is not as big maybe a little bigger than a nickle but is more than 1/8 inch deep I would say.. I decided that I will opt for a new stove I just feel more comfortable with that, I know there is no guarantee that the same thing wont happen to that...I would like to thank woodstock for all their help and fast response to my problem, I heard so much good things about them and now i can say I experienced for myself.

ciccio said:
ciccio said:

Hi there. Just wanted to let you know I've been with the company for about 3 going on 4 years. I personally have not had to do any repair work or customer service, but from what I can see in the photo I wouldn't be too worried about it UNLESS there is damage to the outer stone. The inner stones take a lot of abuse and in turn some damage is expected. It's normal for some stones to "POP" as the minerals and deposits do separate from heat. I am in agreement with the few others that say to continue using it, but again, it is entirely up to you. We stand by our guarantee 100% so no worries there either.

Thanks Vaughn for chiming in.

For others, I met Vaughn at the Woodstock Open House last September. He is a fine man and explained a lot to me and helped a lot. He knows how to build stoves!

My pleasure Dennis. As you know, I first started in the "shell-gunk" area then moved into the stone cutting area, finishing area, and now I'm stationed in the drill area.

always nice to know there is an actual stove builder here. To see another point of view from the 'inside' is always nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.