Firewood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Babymitch

Jun 2, 2020
Detroit, MI
Hey guys just found this site and hoping y’all could help me identify these logs I got. Our small bush removal team has now started doing big trees, and I told my boss I would cut and split all the wood for him and sell it. We did these couple trees a couple weeks ago and out climber says they were hickory and red oak but I’m having a hard time figuring it out, I don’t get cell service in the backyard so I can’t really use the internet to help me look at it. Thanks in advance fellas!

exhibit A: these logs were very heavy
0D26E71E-BF3C-4D78-BB3D-F71D01EB5E64.jpeg

78ADEC41-6DE1-48D5-B29E-DE369C53CCD1.jpeg

Exhibit B: these were a bit lighter than the above logs. The cut ends are orangish colored
1E304E05-1D24-4510-A47C-19BD161E0F4F.jpeg

31CD022B-98E2-4D8B-9F07-4B76CB24EFD0.jpeg

I see what I think is Red Oak. I do not have any hickory
so I can not say for sure
Cherry the last 2 pictures are cherry (for sure)
But my id skills from pictures are not the best

Exhibit A: grain looks like oak

Exhibit B: bark & wood definitely look like Cherry

Black birch on bottom, maybe cherry. I can almost smell it from here.
First pics are strange. Wood looks like locust, but not the bark. Post some end grain pics.

Exhibit B is 100% cherry. Exhibit A looks like oak. Smell exhibit B. You will immediately recognize the scent.