Firewood score from a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
It really pays off sometimes to talk about fires all the time. A friend of mine had all this oak laying out back. It was a tree the power company cut up. I got half of it, going back for more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 141
Looks like old wood, been stacked a while.
Might be good to burn ;)

Makes it an even better score :)

It's been split into BIG pieces for a year and a half or so. Some is pretty wet still. It's all black oak.

Reactions: ScotO
I don't mind the wet oak. When it's dry its all worth the wait.

Nice!! I am always looking to add to my limited OAK stash - nothing better than already CSS'd wood(even if it is just partly CSS'd) when it is FREE

Nice!! I am always looking to add to my limited OAK stash - nothing better than already CSS'd wood(even if it is just partly CSS'd) when it is FREE

It was suppose to be free. After I spent $30 on fuel and most of a day getting it home, splitting it smaller and stacking it. It doesn't seem free. But, i kinda enjoy it.;)

Nice grab! :cool:
most of a day getting it home, splitting it smaller and stacking it.
Were you able to cull out some lighter stuff that may be ready to go this fall, or did you just stack it all together to wait another year?

I'm not gonna try this fall. I'm already set up for this season.

Well, I finally got around to picking up the rest of this Oak from my buddy's house. Ended up with just under 2 cords of red Oak out of the deal!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 69
Well, I finally got around to picking up the rest of this Oak from my buddy's house. Ended up with just under 2 cords of red Oak out of the deal!
Wow Webby I thought you were a suit and tie type of guy selling stoves in front of a computer....I am impressed...

Ok, my bad my friend, that is a nice batch of red oak, two cords is a worthy score, and a lot of work, I know it is not easy to split, mine had a lot of knots but it is better then not having it....

I'm glad to have it. I've split 20 cords or so of Red Oak and find it to be some of the easiest splitting stuff to date. Maybe except for standing dead Tulip.

Are you sure it was Red? Pin Oak and Black Oak are hard to split, but red is known for being easy breezy!
Actually the bigger stuff is easier to split, the limbs with the knots get me, here is mine so farimage.jpg
Some stuff looks like is good to make furniture out off...

I'm not sure why I said Red Oak? It was actually black I'm pretty sure. I'm so used to getting red oak it just kinda comes out I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.