firewood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooderson

Dec 12, 2010
N TX
Does this count as being ahead?

Been in the new place 1 year this month - love it. Yes, when the house was built in '58, they poured cement for the porch and framed around the oak - one of about 20 on our .5 acre. Trying to figure how to trim trees on roof without it damaging roof.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 285
Ummmm....... aren't you supposed to cut the tree down & split it BEFORE you put it on the porch? :)

Reactions: ScotO
cool, but gonna get a few acorns in the rain gutters.

Rain gutter covers are great, but boy do we have leaves to rake...

I thought it would season in the round as long as it was on the porch?

Well, there's an acrophobian's tree house if I ever saw one.

Rope everything down that you trim, add a tag line so you can pull the limbs clear of the roof as they are lowered. No damage then. Hire an Arborist, or someone who knows what they are doing if you want to keep that particular tree healthy. Making bad cuts will cause water sprouts out of the cuts and give you a high maintenance tree. Also make sure whom ever does your tree work that they not spike the tree with climbing spurs. They're only for removals. Rope and saddle method only if they climb.

Those can really be tough taking limbs off but it can be done. Roping is perhaps the best way so long as you have limbs above you yet. Else need to hire it done.

We knew a fellow who had a house (cottage) and the tree went through the roof but it was not on the porch. It was in the living room! Sort of neat but a real pain keeping the leaks in check.

Thats pretty cool. I roofed a guys house once where the tree had grown into the edge of the roof. He had us cut a spot out of the overhang for it and roofed around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.