Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Does firewood have a shelf life.? . I have firewood that’s in my yard that been there for two years. It been covered. And stacked

Does firewood have a shelf life.? . I have firewood that’s in my yard that been there for two years. It been covered. And stacked

As long as it isn't rotten it's fine, some wood isn't even fully dry yet at two years so you have no worries.

Reactions: patrickk222
Not really as long as it is kept dry, insect free, and off the ground. I have 5 yr old hardwood in the shed that still burns great.

All I've burned this winter was oak that was cut, spit and stacked in the spring of '15.

Found out the cord of cherry I got from my folks was 7 years old. Top covered with a commercial tarp. I’m saving a 5 ft rack of it for next year since I’ll miss it when it’s gone. Great stuff and smells awesome.

Nothing lasts forever but it'll outlast you if properly stored.

Just like a house...keep the weather off of it and it will last a long while, I burn on average 4 year old wood, generally I gather it in log form, cut in the spring, stack it outdoors and top cover, then I move it to the woodshed when space opens up and it sits for 2 summers before it goes into the stove, this routine has done me very well and I've had no issues with rot or less then ideal pieces for burning.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Just like a house...keep the weather off of it and it will last a long while, I burn on average 4 year old wood, generally I gather it in log form, cut in the spring, stack it outdoors and top cover, then I move it to the woodshed when space opens up and it sits for 2 summers before it goes into the stove, this routine has done me very well and I've had no issues with rot or less then ideal pieces for burning.
Sounds good! I’ll keep that in mind