First 100+ Day of the Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Outside real temperature, not windchill, -33F. Inside temperature with wood stove in the living/dining/kitchen area, 68F. A 101F temperature rise!

Reactions: brickie and Wickets
Ya got me beat by a few. Real deal -2F on the outside and a warm and fuzzy 70F on the inside. Temps dropping all day to a -15 according to the weather guessers. At least the wind is only supposed to be 20 mph.:confused:

Balmy -26 in southern Minnesota. But at least it will get to -8 today. Looks like a warmup the rest of the week. 30 degrees is going to feel tropical.

That's some cold stuff my MN brothers. Keep an eye on your critters and pipes. My little dog is inside - sitting at the door. He is an outside dog 99.9 % of the time. When I open the door to see if he wants out he looks back up at me with the unmistakeable "Da hell, you say..." and moves backwards 3 feet.;lol

Reactions: Wickets
Our little terrier went out to pee early this morning, heard her barking at something outside (or just because she could), then nothing. Called her several times before she came to the door, extremely stiff from the -33F, nearly paralyzed by the cold. I think she would have frozen to death out in the yard if I had not paid attention to get her back into the house. Pay attention to your animals!

-17f right now in NE IA. Friends stopped on sleds last night wanting me and the wife to join them. Um. Noooo.
Back to my fire! My 2 pooches wont leave the stove room! Wife and I giggled last night thinking of all the days hand splitting E. White Pine from our own place last winter. 14% pine fending off -17F weather overnight. Sweet!

Good to have that pine. I burn mostly aspen (popple).

You have me beat. -16 real temp, 76 degrees in house

Just reached the 2nd time this season of 100F temp difference (not windchill) between inside and outside. 69F inside and 31F outside. It's cold, but somehow I miss the -40'sF we used to get. Arrgh!!!

Holly molly - cold is coming here tonight, suppose to go down to 11 and then 5 by Sunday night, Im hoping to have a 70deg temp spread..lol Surprised you don't have a door way thunderstorm when letting the dog outside.

Kenny - those MN folks know cold. I woke up to minus 1F this morning and wrinkled my face. They wake up and wrinkle their face and it stays there.!!!

Last edited:
There def a different bread of people over there, much more hardy, I watched a couple youtube videos of a guy who waits for this type of weather and splits 20 cords of wood by hand, loving every minute of it.

There def a different bread of people over there, much more hardy, I watched a couple youtube videos of a guy who waits for this type of weather and splits 20 cords of wood by hand, loving every minute of it.
Definitely a different bread. I'd say either a rye or pumpernickel. Over in Wisconsin, more of a whole wheat. No Wonder Bread to be found!

Blaaahahahah... that's awesome

Up in northern New England the ice fishermen need a good stretch of the cold stuff to get the ice thick enough to start ice fishing. Its not a sport for me but for many folks they just cant wait to get the shacks out and they need thick ice to do it.

Up in northern New England the ice fishermen need a good stretch of the cold stuff to get the ice thick enough to start ice fishing. Its not a sport for me but for many folks they just cant wait to get the shacks out and they need thick ice to do it.

Most definitely . . . a sledder from Massachusetts went through the ice and died yesterday in a town a half hour away from where I live. Right now the ice is a bit sketchy -- good in some places, not so great in other places.

It's unbelievable some of the temperatures you guys get. I can't image how cold -33F must feel. The coldest it's gets where I live in the UK is about 26F (-3C) and that's only for short bursts.

Nice feeling when you can do that. I bet the house is well insulated. I to have no issue heating the house no matter how cold it is outside.

... and another 100F today. Outside -31F (not wind chill) and inside 70F: 101F temp difference.

If you've never tried it, splitting in subzero temperatures is pretty cool. Everything just pops apart. Makes you feel like Superman. ;)