First 24 hour burns!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

QuarryHouse

Oct 21, 2022
Sullivan County, NY
After a couple months with my Chinook 20.2, I've gotten better at stacking and letting the coaling stage run longer without fear of the fire going out. With some days this past week hovering around freezing - allowing me to run on low the entire time - I finally had a complete 24 hour burn. Some Tetris stacking was required, but mostly, it was doing a first layer of splits E-W, next layer N-S, and then stuffing small pieces into the spaces in between.

I got frustrated with my Jotul F3 running out of steam around 4AM and waking up to having to build a fire every morning. I hunted around and was told by several places that no wood stove would let me run low and slow. I had to spend months convincing my wife to take a chance on a Blaze King - the EPA refund was key - and it's great that she loves the steady even heat. I would not have found Blaze King (never heard of them as a stove brand) without hearth.com so thanks members!

After a couple months with my Chinook 20.2, I've gotten better at stacking and letting the coaling stage run longer without fear of the fire going out. With some days this past week hovering around freezing - allowing me to run on low the entire time - I finally had a complete 24 hour burn. Some Tetris stacking was required, but mostly, it was doing a first layer of splits E-W, next layer N-S, and then stuffing small pieces into the spaces in between.

I got frustrated with my Jotul F3 running out of steam around 4AM and waking up to having to build a fire every morning. I hunted around and was told by several places that no wood stove would let me run low and slow. I had to spend months convincing my wife to take a chance on a Blaze King - the EPA refund was key - and it's great that she loves the steady even heat. I would not have found Blaze King (never heard of them as a stove brand) without hearth.com so thanks members!
hi, dividing these 24, how many hours do you see flames and how many coals alone? thank you

Almost none - I ran WOT for 15 minutes or so to get the load really going, and turned it down to minimum. Absolutely black inside for the next 23 hours and 45 minutes.
How's it been since you discovered the beauty of the slow burn times? I love how my stove does this but also have found it can buildup a fair amount of creosote in the process. How has your chimney been this past year? Clean?