First Black Locust splits of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Last night was the coldest we've had this season. Broke out some big locust splits. Loaded into the insert with a few cherry's a maple and I think a pine. Nice to have the insert still cycling in the morning (around 7:30). What a difference the better wood makes!

Yeah that's what I'm burning too. This is my first year burning so I was unprepared with no wood. Luckily on my hillside I found some standing dead and dead on the ground black locust. MC between 13-18%! It burns good, almost too good....lol.

some utility workers have been dropping trees for weeks near my place, all the wood remains, and they told me there is some of this infamous wood there. Cant wait to scoop it up this weekend and get it ready for burning in 2013-14. Until then easy overnight burns for me with ash and oak, son put the needle into the danger zone yesterday with our first load of ash. Throttle back and she settled right down.

Do you find that BL takes quite a while longer to get burning good than most others? Ours waits until the oak in with it is half burned away before it flames and gasses out. It is 1 year+ seasoned. No matter, 2/3 of what we have is still out in the stacks waiting until next winter. Maybe for our conditions, it takes 2 years C/S/S.

Gark said:
Do you find that BL takes quite a while longer to get burning good than most others? Ours waits until the oak in with it is half burned away before it flames and gasses out. It is 1 year+ seasoned. No matter, 2/3 of what we have is still out in the stacks waiting until next winter. Maybe for our conditions, it takes 2 years C/S/S.

I know there is a big difference with birch here when it's 2 years old compared t 1 year. Lights better, gets to temp fast, long burns.
Spruce dries fast but the 2+ year old birch, big difference, lots better.
Oh to have the troubles of oak & locust :-/

Gark said:
Locust only needs 8 months to get to 20%, and I leave them big. I always mix it with other woods. I really couldn't say what it looks like burning.

Gark said:

I havent burned mine yet because it needs more seasoning but I understand that yes, it does take a while longer to get going, Im going to load mine onto a good bed of oak coals next year when I burn it.

BL is slow to start. Not good for a cold stove, but fine on a good bed of coals.

BL is my primary wood. Starts fine. Once I'm hot I can feed in my iffy oak.

Sure wish we had some of that locust around here so I could try it. All I hear is good things about it.

Last nite overnite temps 8 degrees - started burning some locust the other nite - usually when its 20 and below.

Last nite had a big hunk in the Keystone and this AM still nice coals and 250 stove top

Status
Not open for further replies.