First burn instructions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
I been checking out this site for a while. Its been an assest over the last few months. We bought a Century Hearth (FW300010) 2000sq ft. Its sitting in the living room for know until I can start building the floor (Hearth) and heat shields on the walls in a couple of weeks. I do have some questions i need help with. Thanks.

Curing the paint? Manual reads, 1st and 2nd burn at 250 degrees for 20 min and 3rd burn at 500 degrees for 45 min.
Question 1: Can I just assemble the stove out in my dirt/gravel driveway without the stove pipe and complete this process to prevent all the odor and carbon dioxide build up from the paint.
QUESTION 2: Would the outside temp of 20 to 45 degrees affect stove in any way (crack it).
Question 3: Where is the thermometer placed inorder to recieve the correct degree readings and how is it connected. Again Thanks.

I helped a buddy do this exact thing last night, except the stove was a dutch west cdw300007 I think.

instructions said the same though, 250 degree for 20 minutes ( 2 fires) then 500 degrees for at least 45.

I used my harbor freight non contact temp gun, we got the hOTTEST temps right on the top center of stovetop.

I left him with it, about 45 minutes into that last 500 degree fire, and it was STILL very strong smelling.

bowhunter3714 said:
I been checking out this site for a while. Its been an assest over the last few months. We bought a Century Hearth (FW300010) 2000sq ft. Its sitting in the living room for know until I can start building the floor (Hearth) and heat shields on the walls in a couple of weeks. I do have some questions i need help with. Thanks.

Curing the paint? Manual reads, 1st and 2nd burn at 250 degrees for 20 min and 3rd burn at 500 degrees for 45 min.
Question 1: Can I just assemble the stove out in my dirt/gravel driveway without the stove pipe and complete this process to prevent all the odor and carbon dioxide build up from the paint.
QUESTION 2: Would the outside temp of 20 to 45 degrees affect stove in any way (crack it).
Question 3: Where is the thermometer placed inorder to recieve the correct degree readings and how is it connected. Again Thanks.

Brother Bart cured his paint in the yard, so I don't see why you can't. Not sure on the cold outside temps though. So research well first.

after I fixed up and painted my used insert that I installed last year, I put it on a rolling cart, stuck 40" of flex on it, and burned it off in the driveway.
a freind and myself, sat near it in lawn chairs and drank beer last November doing this.

it will require more wood than in the house, but it is perfectly fine to burn it off outside.

I actually suggested this to my freind last night, he was too lazy to want to move the stove ( paid to have it installed yesterday)

after the smell though, im pretty sure he was reconsidering!

burning it off outside, is a GREAT idea.

When I got my new stove 2 seasons ago, I left it out on the deck and cured it there.
It was kinda fun sipping Leinies on the deck breaking it in.
It sure stunk up the outside so I am glad I did it that way.

Works for me.

Attachments

• 30 outside.jpg
    30 outside.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 297
  • running hot.jpg
    running hot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 303
Thanks for all your input on this. I was going to burn it off this weekend but stormy cold wet weather leads to a great day of bowhunting. Hopefully if its warm next weekend I'll get it burnt. Again thanks.

Yup. New years eve last year a couple friends and I spent the afternoon outside ind the driveway with a few beers curing the paint on his newly rebuilt and repainted VC.

BrotherBart said:
Works for me.

So I take it this is a must?

How bad did the Englander stink?

My 30 should be here tomorrow

Thank you, Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim said:
BrotherBart said:
Works for me.

So I take it this is a must?

How bad did the Englander stink?

My 30 should be here tomorrow

Thank you, Hiram Maxim

Its not a must unless your sensitive to chemicals, smells etc.
B.B. also painted his stove a new color with some great but nasty paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.