First (Carpet) Burn of the Season (Ouch)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Didn't want to hijack the physical injury thread.

No, that THAT kind of carpet burn. :) Noticed the first scorch on the BRAND NEW carpet! It's didn't remain a virgin for very long. I built the hearth out an extra 3" beyond code requirements and this scorch is more than 2' from the front of the stove. Watch those embers and sparks... I was being pretty careful this year and this one still went unnoticed. And for the eagle-eyes out there, a replacement glass has been ordered but still has not arrived. ;)

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 509
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 480
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 480
I built my hearth out for 24 instead of 16 inches. BUT, like you just experienced, there always seems to be some little guy that pops out further than we expect!

This is why I told my wife not to wear low cut shirts while loading the stove!

-SF

SlyFerret said:

-SF
I told my wife TO wear low cut shirts and leave the stove loading to me...lol

Sorry for the inuendo here, but all I can say is that as far back I can remember when I would get a rug burn, it was always worth it :)

Like I've always said, "It's better to burn your wood on the rug, than burn your rug with the wood."

That burn mark isn't that bad. I've had some that burnt down to the heavy fibers that make up the bottom of the carpet. They are gone now that I had to extend the hearth! I ended up getting a hearth rug at Walmart for like 5 bucks. It's a semi circle and just toss it when the heating season is over. Just make sure it really is for a hearth, they specifically say fire resistant or something like that.

Danno77 said:
That burn mark isn't that bad. I've had some that burnt down to the heavy fibers that make up the bottom of the carpet. They are gone now that I had to extend the hearth! I ended up getting a hearth rug at Walmart for like 5 bucks. It's a semi circle and just toss it when the heating season is over. Just make sure it really is for a hearth, they specifically say fire resistant or something like that.

It's not a huge mark, it's just annoying on a brand new carpet (only been down a month). The previous carpet had several burn marks like that.. I was hoping to make it at least for a few months... not merely days.

babzog said:
Danno77 said:

It's not a huge mark, it's just annoying on a brand new carpet (only been down a month). The previous carpet had several burn marks like that.. I was hoping to make it at least for a few months... not merely days.
Yep, I hear ya. Brand new doesn't seem to last long around here, either!

id get a cheap hearth rug for there defiantly. thats what i got. i couldnt see paying 200 dollars for the ones at the stove shops specially when you'll most likely end up with a burn on it.

Fingernail clipper...or better yet, one of those really little pairs of curved scissors. Very carefully and patiently just trim off the singed tops of the fibers and sort of do the best you can to taper it in. Really, once you get rid of most of the discolored part (which is just the very tops of the damaged fibers), the thing will darn near disappear, for all practical purposes. What you and your wife decide to do about her tops is none of my business. Rick

fossil said:
Fingernail clipper...or better yet, one of those really little pairs of curved scissors. Very carefully and patiently just trim off the singed tops of the fibers and sort of do the best you can to taper it in. Really, once you get rid of most of the discolored part (which is just the very tops of the damaged fibers), the thing will darn near disappear, for all practical purposes. What you and your wife decide to do about her tops is none of my business. Rick

Yeah, my wife did that trick when she dropped (drunk) a birthday cake (my Mother's, made by yours truly that day) on the carpet and the sparklers on top burned the hell out of it. Next day, she spent a half hour or so trimming the carpet and it's hard to see. This carpet though (berber), is a different beast than what we have on the main floor (I don't know enough about carpet to tell you what it is). The loops are pretty small.

SlyFerret said:

-SF
Now I can't get that song outa my head..."Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

I really wish I had gotten my hearth a little bigger. The door open just barley is over the hearth.

Time to get you a dog and train it to lay over the burned carpet in front of the stovve - especially when company is over ;)

Bill

I happily burned something like a national forest in my old stove in 21 years and never dinged that damn carpet. The second week with the new stove I burned it. Popping ember.

Yeah I know. The whole thing is old and needs to be replaced anyway. Me too. But just sayin, that really bummed me.

Probably cause that old stove was sending so much heat up the chimney that the draft actually made curtains from across the house flap. Any spark flying outward would just be sucked right back!

Danno77 said:
Probably cause that old stove was sending so much heat up the chimney that the draft actually made curtains from across the house flap. Any spark flying outward would just be sucked right back!

Likely. But a tad of heat leaked out into the house. Everybody here has learned not to give me a chance to post the pic of her the week before she came out of the house again. :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• brownie.jpg
    brownie.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 214
I gave up on carpeting and got laminate. So far even some pretty big and HOT embers haven't managed to mark it! Which is a good thing, too, because that floor is my BABY.

I have a navajo wool rug in front of my hearth. It doesn't scorch very easily.

~Rose

I bought one of those small 100% wool rugs to put in front of the hearth.

woodfield_61150.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.