First EVER Wood-Burning Stove Just Installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the right idea Trooper.

Reactions: Trooper
Thanks Splinter. As far as placement, the manual states to locate the thermometer 14" above the flue collar. That doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean I will need to remove the surround every time I want to read the thermometer?

0gopogo, I am no expert but an insert is a cast iron or steel box (essentially) which is internally lined with firebrick and is placed inside the fireplace. The insert is vented up through the existing chimney, which has been lined with stainless steel flex pipe. Heating of the home is achieved by a blower or blowers which push the warm air out; warmth from the insert is also radiated directly from the surface of the insert into the home, similar to a wood stove. Hope that helps.

You do not want a flue thermometer for the insert. As you've noted it is meant to go on the flue pipe which in the case of the insert is inaccessible. Go for their stove top thermometer. Either the Inferno or Medallion. will work.

Reactions: Trooper
Status
Not open for further replies.