First Fire - Burn-in haze/light smoke common?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

valley-ben

Oct 7, 2019
Pioneer Valley, MA
Purchased and self installed a new Piazetta Monia. Vent is a Duravent kit (Straight through the wall then up 5 feet). The building inspector approved. Fired it up for the first time today with Lacrete West Coast Softwood pellets.

Ran through the first ignition instructions and all went without hitch. Manual does warn that there is a burn-in period for like 16 hours (o'oooof). Is it typical for the burn-in to also fill the room with a cloud of hazy, light smoke. I recently got a new oven and a similar effect occurred. Is this common? Its been on for about 2 hours and the room is dense with haze. I'm going to shut it down for the moment and head to my partner's condo.

My one concern: I messed up spray-painting the Duravent pipes. I grabbed the wrong can from my unorganized garage and used a regular Rustoleum black. I got about half way through the first coat when I realized I wasn't using the high-heat can. I finished the job with the high-heat Rustoleum, although I'm concerned the first coat might be what is burning off (and into house).

My whole place was in a fog when I first fired the stove.

• Haha
Reactions: valley-ben
Phew, good to know that this happens. Thanks for sharing. Any tips for keeping the smoke down, or should I just periodically run around the house swinging a wet towel like a banshee.

My one concern: I messed up spray-painting the Duravent pipes. I grabbed the wrong can from my unorganized garage and used a regular Rustoleum black. I got about half way through the first coat when I realized I wasn't using the high-heat can. I finished the job with the high-heat Rustoleum, although I'm concerned the first coat might be what is burning off (and into house).

Pellet stove.

Uh oh. The issue might be that the pipe will look bad once the non high heat paint boils out from underneath.

I didnt realize it was a pellet stove! Name was unknown to me and I wondered about your use of pellets.
Wrong category and I have no insights on them. Are they known for smoking on first burn like a wood stove? I dont know. I can say that within a short time, my stove stopped smoking but I took it up to nearly 700 STT before it did.

Most new stoves need a burn in to cure the paint and burn off manufacturing oils.
Most people do there burn-in OUTSIDE. Your manufacturer says 16 hours that
to me is a little long. It took about 4 hours to cure mine on high heat. The smoke
and smell will diminish over time. This is normal for a new stove

How long it takes depends on the quality of paint that the unit is covered in and how hot you get it. I usually say run it on high with the windows open for 2-6 hours or until it stops smoking.

We always parked ours outside and ran them an hour of so on fairly good heat output to thwart the smoky room stuff.