First Fire for New Morso 2B Standard, cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tinyorchid

Jul 13, 2023
Montana
In two weeks my new Morso 2B Standard, cast iron stove will be installed. It will be my first NEW wood stove.
Is there any certain way to make the first fire in a stove? Seems like a silly questions, but maybe it is important?

Thanks,
Tammie

Manual should give you some kind of procedure. Generally it’s a 2-3 fire break in process. First one just kindling. Get the stove top to 250 degrees . Let the stove cool off completely. Second one is kindling plus one split shoot for 325-350. Third shoot for 400-425. Paint needs to cure. Opening a window will help get the smell/smoke out. Each time it gets to a new high temperature more paint will cure.

Reactions: tinyorchid
Manual should give you some kind of procedure. Generally it’s a 2-3 fire break in process. First one just kindling. Get the stove top to 250 degrees . Let the stove cool off completely. Second one is kindling plus one split shoot for 325-350. Third shoot for 400-425. Paint needs to cure. Opening a window will help get the smell/smoke out. Each time it gets to a new high temperature more paint will cure.
Thank you. I was wondering if there would be some sort of smell, opened windows will happen! I never knew about 3 different fires. Will read the manual.

Thank you. Does one use a special thermomitor to know the temp? Good to know this stuff in advance. Could be a chilly day here in NW Montana ;-)

Thank you. Does one use a special thermomitor to know the temp? Good to know this stuff in advance. Could be a chilly day here in NW Montana ;-)
Best money I ever spent was on an infrared thermometer that goes over 900 degrees and an Auber AT200 thermometer alarm. The IR gun is fun and practical (you will use more tha. You think) and the AT200 always has your back. You start a fire and get it going close the door but forget to turn down the air. It has a nice loud beep that lets you know. Running a stove off of flue gas temps is just easier as the temperature response to an air control change is 10-30 seconds.

This is interesting and completely new to me. I never thought of the temperature of my flu or stove, just am I warm enough, especially when it gets to -17F. I will look into this. Does this save on the amount of wood one burns?
Best money I ever spent was on an infrared thermometer that goes over 900 degrees and an Auber AT200 thermometer alarm. The IR gun is fun and practical (you will use more tha. You think) and the AT200 always has your back. You start a fire and get it going close the door but forget to turn down the air. It has a nice loud beep that lets you know. Running a stove off of flue gas temps is just easier as the temperature response to an air control change is 10-30 seconds.

Stove and pipe thermometers are a great tool to help burn your stove properly and most efficiently. Condar.com has some good ones with color coded burn ranges.

Keep the windows open. My morso 7110 smoked like crazy and smelled horrible during the small break-in fires. Smoke alarms blaring non-stop . Good times. My neighbors loved me :)

Keep the windows open. My morso 7110 smoked like crazy and smelled horrible during the small break-in fires. Smoke alarms blaring non-stop . Good times. My neighbors loved me :)
UGH! I hate toxic smells! I will have my air purifer going and all windows open. Thanks.

Hi, I finally got my stove installed. Was stuck on a ship for a long time. How many days did it take for the smell to go away? I am on day two and it is still horrible.

Reactions: Todd
Hi, I finally got my stove installed. Was stuck on a ship for a long time. How many days did it take for the smell to go away? I am on day two and it is still horrible.
I think it was a solid 3 days of stink and smoke. Hang in there---eventually it will fade and you can enjoy your beautiful stove without the windows open :)

Each time you reach a higher stove temp you may get that smell even after you think it was all baked in.

Please post some pictures, it’s such a cool looking stove!

Each time you reach a higher stove temp you may get that smell even after you think it was all baked in.

Please post some pictures, it’s such a cool looking stove!

DSC03003.jpg DSC02996.jpg

As someone stated every time you get the stove a little hotter you will reach the temperature of more stink. I can tell from the other room if my flue is getting hot just from the smell and my DW pipe is a year old.

As someone stated every time you get the stove a little hotter you will reach the temperature of more stink. I can tell from the other room if my flue is getting hot just from the smell and my DW pipe is a year old.
Wow, a year old and that still happens.

Wow, a year old and that still happens.
It's painted pipe, it's always going to happen. I have a magnetic thermometer on my flue outlet and the temperature of stink is directly at 12 o'clock so we can tell by a glance from across the room if we need to turn it down.
This wood burning is dirty business.

It's painted pipe, it's always going to happen. I have a magnetic thermometer on my flue outlet and the temperature of stink is directly at 12 o'clock so we can tell by a glance from across the room if we need to turn it down.
This wood burning is dirty business.
Yes, I have noticed that the stink happens once it is fairly hot. Last night when I was over the stink, I closed the air vent and within a short time it stopped. Lots to learn with a new stove. This one is 1/3rd the size of my last one, very different. I will have to split a lot of my wood for its little fire box. I might get a thermometer like yours just to learn more about it all.

For the burn in fires. The quantity of wood and the method of stacking in fire box controls the heat the fire will produce. Start low with a few pieces of kindindling. Bring the stove up to a temperature, cruze at that for some time a then let it go out, to a cold stove. Repeat this process, going to a new higher temperature each time.

For the burn in fires. The quantity of wood and the method of stacking in fire box controls the heat the fire will produce. Start low with a few pieces of kindindling. Bring the stove up to a temperature, cruze at that for some time a then let it go out, to a cold stove. Repeat this process, going to a new higher temperature each time.
Someone above suggested something similar. Wish I had started it that way. After two days of using it, should I still try as you suggested?

Buy some thermometers and you can join the club of constantly checking them! It is handy to have stove top temperature. Is your stove pipe double wall? If so you'd have to drill it to get a true flue temperature reading. I don't want to drill mine so I just use a magnetic one on the stove collar/adapter and while it might not be accurate it does give me a reference.

Buy some thermometers and you can join the club of constantly checking them! It is handy to have stove top temperature. Is your stove pipe double wall? If so you'd have to drill it to get a true flue temperature reading. I don't want to drill mine so I just use a magnetic one on the stove collar/adapter and while it might not be accurate it does give me a reference.
my pipe is single wall and new, so maybe that is part of the smell.