First Fire for New Morso 2B Standard, cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
my pipe is single wall and new, so maybe that is part of the smell.
With single wall buy a magnetic thermometer for it and place it about 1 1/2 to 2' up the pipe. Between that and a stove top thermometer you'll have a good idea of where you are and when to cut the stove back. I am not familiar at all with your stove but it all applies.

Reactions: tinyorchid
With single wall buy a magnetic thermometer for it and place it about 1 1/2 to 2' up the pipe. Between that and a stove top thermometer you'll have a good idea of where you are and when to cut the stove back. I am not familiar at all with your stove but it all applies.
Thank you. I will look into them. Thanks for telling me where to place it.

Thank you. I will look into them. Thanks for telling me where to place it.
You can but as good a thermometer as anywhere on Amazon for both locations. If you really want to measure flue temps you can buy one with a probe that is held to the pipe with a magnet and you drill a hole in the pipe. Then if you really want a precision measurement you can look at Auber's site and buy electronic digital temperature probes.

The plant curing isn’t the same for everyone. Maybe it’s the brand, or how long it cured in inventory on a shelf. Everyone’s sensitivity is different too. In the last 10-12 years I’ve had two new stoves. Yeah, there was a smell, but it wasn’t as bad for me as I often hear others say.
Lots of reasons why that could be, but it’s not always a dreaded nightmare.

I’m going to support the Auber recommendations with an IR gun. The Auber is all I look at unless it’s really really cooking, sometimes I like to know the stove top temperature (STT).

Get a magnetic probe for power outages, and rely on the Auber, but you can use the meantime to learn how the magnetic one tracks. This way you know when the power is out that you need to add 100 degrees when it’s a low temp, but if it’s reading 650, you may be within 25 degrees or vice versa. You’ll have to learn that yourself.

The plant curing isn’t the same for everyone. Maybe it’s the brand, or how long it cured in inventory on a shelf. Everyone’s sensitivity is different too. In the last 10-12 years I’ve had two new stoves. Yeah, there was a smell, but it wasn’t as bad for me as I often hear others say.
Lots of reasons why that could be, but it’s not always a dreaded nightmare.
Mine has been pretty bad, I am one of those sensitive to smells (and life) people. Not only not liking the smell, but my eyes reacted, sinuses and throat. I had windows open and a huge work fan blowing. I can tell day two was not as bad. Today I am going to try kindling wood and not getting it so hot. Maybe a few days of low fires that don't bring on the stink will help it cure? Worth a try.

I’m going to support the Auber recommendations with an IR gun. The Auber is all I look at unless it’s really really cooking, sometimes I like to know the stove top temperature (STT).

Get a magnetic probe for power outages, and rely on the Auber, but you can use the meantime to learn how the magnetic one tracks. This way you know when the power is out that you need to add 100 degrees when it’s a low temp, but if it’s reading 650, you may be within 25 degrees or vice versa. You’ll have to learn that yourself.
Thank you. Will check out Auber.

Update for anyone interested in this subject. The stink/off-gassing of new stove and pipe lasted about 16 days. I get a little stink once in a while, but not much and not long. We are coming out of -40F nights, so it has been a good test for wether this stove is adequate for my tiny cabin less that 600 sq ft. It did great! I am pleased with it.

Reactions: peakbagger and Todd