First fire... Funky smells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Probably paranoid here but just lit up the summit for the first time this season and she is smelling a bit funky. Probably just dust burning off the stove, right?

That's the paint that is curing. There will always be some whenever you reach a new max temp. Open some windows, start with a small fire break-in fire and then make them increasingly bigger. A good way to also learn about proper operation of the stove and how it burns with different air settings.

Edit: Scrap that. I overlooked the "first time this season". In your case, it is probably dust then.

Last edited:
I get the same dust smell, no matter how clean you get, theres always some hiding some where

Thanks guys. Smelling better already. Boy it's toasty in here right now!!!

Yup, lit mine a little more than an hour ago, the room temp was 65 and now climbed to 72, outside the temp is dropping, was 48 no down to 43, 33 is the forecasted bottom, Im still using wood that I didn't burn last year and was sitting on my porch over the summer, good luck with your heating season

That's why I tell the wife to go easy on the cleaning. Get things too pristine and come woodstove season it's too easy to smell the stove!

What dust??

The smells coming off the dura vent pipe just installed on my pellet stove this morning remind me of my the valve cover gaskets leaking on my 1st car (78 Buick Regal) lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.