First full load overnight, I have a couple operating questions ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
Well it got cold. Not to cold, but cold last night. I wanted to try a full load, actually not quite completely full but damn near it. Well put it in around 11. Was a bit paranoid because of it being first full so hung out a while to keep an eye on it, got it good and going, secondary burn cranking, and started to dampen down the air, Stove top was at 500, secondary was blazing, and air cut all the way back and off to bed I went. 6:30 or so this morning, house is almost to toasty, stove has full bed of coals, stove top still at 300. Holy Crap !!!!!! I think it needs to be a bit colder for a full load, but I am loving this stove !!!! If I wanted to I could easily refire with the bed of coals but no need.

So my questions to other users is this, How long after you do a major reload do you wait ( in time) until you cut back the air ? I know it depends on wood etc..... But with a Hardwood relaod about how long.

If I reload and cut back the air, b4 the secondaries fire, will they fire sometime overnight? I waited for them to be blasting b4 I cut back the air.

I am just looking for some guidance since this is my first heating season with this stove.

Thanks for any info

If there is a heck of a good coal bed then put the wood in and I leave it choked down, it starts secondaries soon, if the fire is not going that well then I let it cook a while before choking it down...

Depends . . . if the stove has been running for awhile and the coals are fairly large I can reload and sometimes not even bother adjusting the air . . . just leave it where it was . . . closed or nearly all the way closed. Other times I will keep the air open for a few minutes until my stack temp is in the "zone" and then I start to cut back on the air -- sometimes I will dial it down incrementally in quarter mark increments . . . other times I can just shut down the air completely and be rewarded with that dazzling light display.

Lots of variables here, but it really depends on if Im going to bed or not. If Im tired Ill load up and turn the intake just about off. The secondaries will eventually kick in while Im upstairs. If Im hanging out I leave the intake open so the load catches faster, then turn it down in about 15-20 min intervals so the secondaries work faster. Just remember that the more air you are letting in, the more hot air is going up the chimney. As long as the fire is going good, the intake shouldn't be too open, especially if you want a good secondary.

Dont go too crazy micro managing the stove. You have one of the easiest to use most forgiving stoves I have ever sold and operated. Wait till you really start experimenting with the load techniques and air adjustments. I can sometimes come back after 12 hours and have 200 degree + surface temps with enough coals to just add some wood. Enjoy the Mansfield (spell it right in your sig for gods sake, that stove deserves better). You got a hell of a stove.

I think you need to get familiar with your stove by doing a full load or two first thing in the morning and monitor it through the day. That big rock will stay warm for a long time and you may only need 1 good firing per day to keep your house temp up on these shoulder season days. Once you feel comfortable fill her up for the night and you will sleep better.

Nice stove. Looks to me like you have it going well. If I load up for the night on a good bed of coals I cut back the air in a few minutes then just check it once more after a few more.you seem to have good fuel as you are getting nice temps from the stove.it's still mild here so I'm still at the small fire in the morning stage.enjoy the great stove, Pete

First year for me too and trying to learn to burn correctly. The weather has been teasing me though, had a couple of days that it got cold enough to practice but it has been too warm to burn lately. It is pretty sad that I can't wait for winter so I can get my stove figured out, I hate the cold weather but ready to play with the new stove. I have been too afraid to leave the main air open at night and did like you and closed it all the way after getting the stove up to around 600. The secondaries kicked in good for a while but they too seemed to die down. Not sure how the keep the secondary fire going. I know my wood is dry since it is several years old.

shawneyboy said:
So my questions to other users is this, How long after you do a major reload do you wait ( in time) until you cut back the air ? I know it depends on wood etc..... But with a Hardwood relaod about how long.

If I reload and cut back the air, b4 the secondaries fire, will they fire sometime overnight? I waited for them to be blasting b4 I cut back the air.

Like others have said, it's based on what kind of mood I am in. But normally, yes I open up the air on the reload until things get rolling than cut it back. At night when I am tired, I load and kkep the air shut down. YES the secondaries will fire if you do it this way, but it will take longer for them to do so. Do not let that worry you. Go to bed and let the stove do the work. As a Mainsfield owner, I can tell you that the stove can handle itself. Enjoy it.

I fired mine up last night as well. Got down to 34 last night!

sixman said:
First year for me too and trying to learn to burn correctly. The weather has been teasing me though, had a couple of days that it got cold enough to practice but it has been too warm to burn lately. It is pretty sad that I can't wait for winter so I can get my stove figured out, I hate the cold weather but ready to play with the new stove. I have been too afraid to leave the main air open at night and did like you and closed it all the way after getting the stove up to around 600. The secondaries kicked in good for a while but they too seemed to die down. Not sure how the keep the secondary fire going. I know my wood is dry since it is several years old.

I NEVER burn for long with the main air open all the way. Only on initial fire up and a reload on coals.

Franks said:
Dont go too crazy micro managing the stove. You have one of the easiest to use most forgiving stoves I have ever sold and operated. Wait till you really start experimenting with the load techniques and air adjustments. I can sometimes come back after 12 hours and have 200 degree + surface temps with enough coals to just add some wood. Enjoy the Mansfield (spell it right in your sig for gods sake, that stove deserves better). You got a hell of a stove.

First off fixed sig , you are the first to point it out.

I that is exactly what I dont want to do, micro-manage. That is why I was wondering if I should just load it full on the coals get it started to fire and close her down. I absolutely love this stove, I indeed had hot coals for almost 11 hours, probably need some smaller stuff for the refire or some pine but it is very easy to work with. Much easier than the insert I am used to working with at my fathers house. I just was a bit paranoid about over firing it, or making it into a smoke puffing monster. I will continue to experiment, but hats off to hearthstone on this one, I would HIGHLY recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.