First kiss by the stove this year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
more info or a pic, or it didn't happen. :p

Got mine a few weeks ago. Had the welding gloves on too. Caught me on the arm above the glove. need longer gloves or longer sleeves.

I have been extra lucky this year, though I have no hair on my right arm above where the gloves stop.

Shoot, I have had 4 and 3 are still visible right now. All but one would have been covered by the gloves IF I wore them every time. The other was from the bolt on the inside of the handle/lock which actually gave me a smiley-face on the inner bicep.

Nice, slow-healing one about 3" long about two weeks ago. First one with this stove in two seasons now. Just had to reach all the way down to the bottom through my top load door to adjust a split that fell wrong. :roll:

Funny how they hardly hurt until the next day. Yup, just a little kiss, but the heat is transferred instantly and it's already too late.

Go to somewhere such as Lowe's, where I got mine, and spend about $3 on a three-foot pc. of 3/8 inch steel rod. Heat up one end with an acetylene torch, bend into a handle. Heat the other end if you want a slight crook in it. Don't heat the other end if you want it straight. I find a crook to be helpful. Then keep it by the stove and stick it into the firebox instead of an arm!!!!

Total cost: $3 for rod, $0.01 for acetylene and oxygen.
Total time: 10 minutes plus 1 minute to like the torch.

Some people use a "rake" sort of device to, well, rake coals and ash. Do the same thing as above, only braze on a small piece of flat steel scrap to one end.

Meanwhile, I keep a clay pot of aloe vera growing in a windowsill. The juice is amazingly effective to such burns. And, yes, I admit to a few burns over the years. After a while, the aloe will multiply; break off a shoot, root it, give it to other wood-burning friends.

I use an old steel case hook from the dairy- works great and can also be used to open the top feeder.

This being said, my first kiss of the year was a knockle burner on the left pointing finger. Healing up well, but it was yet another case of the gloves being right there and my being distracted and forgetting to put them on. I need to step back and really think this through- perhaps a sign above the stove as a reminder- "Put the gloves on you moron!"- or perhaps I am beign too hard on myself.

Adios Pantalones said:
That's why I have a spatula hanging with the poker and shovel.

:lol: And spray yourself with Pam before reloading.

SteveKG said:
Go to somewhere such as Lowe's, where I got mine, and spend about $3 on a three-foot pc. of 3/8 inch steel rod. Heat up one end with an acetylene torch, bend into a handle. Heat the other end if you want a slight crook in it. Don't heat the other end if you want it straight. I find a crook to be helpful. Then keep it by the stove and stick it into the firebox instead of an arm!!!!

Yup. Made one 20 years ago. It was my very first blacksmithing project. Heated it up in my old 118 by sticking the metal rod through the intake hole and leaving it there until it got red hot. Then I pounded out the end and bent it on my anvil (a 16" length of train rail). Still have it and use it almost every day... just not that day. :shut:

Well, yesterday I stepped on a hot ember with my threadbare sock clad foot. That was a first for me. Truly a hot foot.

Ahhh, nothing like a little sizzle to wake you up! I always get mine first thing in the morning to get it out of the way. Amazingly enough they heal eventually and never leave scars...

I have a bent rod I use. I got kissed by the door I didn't open far enough. What are these glove things you speak of? :lol:

As for pics, it's not worth the bandwidth. It looks like a hickie shaped like a paisley... with the hair still growing out of it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.