First long burn in the Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randy Acton

Oct 21, 2014
MI
I've come to a conclusion about wood stove efficiency and the shoulder season (BK owners cover your ears), wear a fricking sweatshirt. That being said here are the results of the first sustained burn of the season

Loaded the stove up to the slope in the ceiling with large splits of beech. Then split some 5/4 pine lumber and filled it to about 2" from the top. Threw in one of those Rutland cubes around 8:00 p.m. last night to start the fire. Took about 30 minutes to raise the cat probe to about 700 and the stove pipe to about 300.

I engaged the cat and left the air open full for about 5 minutes. I gradually reduced the air until about 1/4 open over about 30 minutes. I left for work around 9:00 p.m. and closed the air to the second notch,

When I lit the stove outside temp was about 55 and inside temp was about 62. When I left for work outside temp was about 52 and inside temp was 70.

When I got home this morning at 7:45 the outside temp was 48 and inside temp was 75. It is now 10:00 a.m. and with approx. 1/2 the fuel left temps are 55 out and 75 in. The cat is measuring 650 and still going strong.

Going to bed soon but I will post my findings when I wake up this evening,

I've come to a conclusion about wood stove efficiency and the shoulder season (BK owners cover your ears), wear a fricking sweatshirt. That being said here are the results of the first sustained burn of the season

Loaded the stove up to the slope in the ceiling with large splits of beech. Then split some 5/4 pine lumber and filled it to about 2" from the top. Threw in one of those Rutland cubes around 8:00 p.m. last night to start the fire. Took about 30 minutes to raise the cat probe to about 700 and the stove pipe to about 300.

I engaged the cat and left the air open full for about 5 minutes. I gradually reduced the air until about 1/4 open over about 30 minutes. I left for work around 9:00 p.m. and closed the air to the second notch,

When I lit the stove outside temp was about 55 and inside temp was about 62. When I left for work outside temp was about 52 and inside temp was 70.

When I got home this morning at 7:45 the outside temp was 48 and inside temp was 75. It is now 10:00 a.m. and with approx. 1/2 the fuel left temps are 55 out and 75 in. The cat is measuring 650 and still going strong.

Going to bed soon but I will post my findings when I wake up this evening,

I admit, I didn't cover my ears! You have nothing to be ashamed of as that was a great burn. What more could you have wanted? Not too hot and you can have a burn every other day if your home and the outside temps will allow you to cruise between fires. I burn my BK the same way this time of year. I've got to let the house cool down since even at a low burn, the house temp will climb too high if I maintain a 24/7 fire.

Reactions: chance04
Not me! I'm burning 24/7 once daily highs go below 70. Adding a couple feet of flue really helped with that.

The good news for the Ideal Steel is that you won't be cold when there's snow on the ground!

Reactions: chance04
Very nice!!! good to hear you found the sweet spot right off the bat, best of luck with the stove

Just out of curiosity, what is the highest cat probe temperature you saw?