First negative wind chills with a south wind this heating season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were right at zero degree wind chill this morning in Virginia. My stove's a bit undersized and it can be a challenge to keep up if it gets much colder than this, especially if everyone's away from home for a few hours.

Same here ailanthus and I loaded the stove 2/3 at eight last night and overslept and woke up to a cold stove. ;em

Same here ailanthus and I loaded the stove 2/3 at eight last night and overslept and woke up to a cold stove. ;em

My house might have been in the 50's if I had let it go that long last night. I loaded mine as full as I could around 2300 and woke up at 0500 to load it up again - plenty of coals but limited heat at that point. It's so much easier to keep the house warm than to let it cool off and try to catch up on days like this. I love the cooler weather, though!

My back up space heaters kicked in for a little bit until I got the 30 rolling again with a belly full of bone dry oak. Now we are up to 28 with gusts to 30 MPH but it is warm again in the joint now.

Reactions: ailanthus
The Arctic high cold that has descended on the country is huge. We are being affected by the western edge of the system. Fortunately the Cascades have blocked some of the harshest cold so far.

I was just outside frying some deer tenderloin on the coldest day so far this winter. I like the cold but that damn wind, I hate. Felt real good coming back into and 86 degree house. If its like this now I can't what to see what January and February are going to be like

Yup, had the winds and cold here too. Teens without the windchill, probably single digits or negative with last night. Gusts up to about 28 mph. Glad for the oversized stove yesterday, last night and today! 22 with an 18 degree "real feel" right now and 75 in the stove room.

It sucks. Got up late this morning and house had cooled to 74 degrees. We fixed that pretty quick though. ;)

It sucks. Got up late this morning and house had cooled to 74 degrees. We fixed that pretty quick though. ;)
To you that probably felt like zero:cool:. I know it does to me

Well, it was cool but not quite like zero. Was outside though!

Way too windy/cold to work today but someones gotta! Lotta layers and i was good to go outside, wife had the stove kicking all day! 72* mid level, prolly 85+ in the stove room! Just threw in some really dry maple and it took off to the point i had to lower it all the way
image.jpg
Kitty like it too

Reactions: lopiliberty
Status
Not open for further replies.