First overnight burn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbakerinc

Oct 19, 2015
Bedford PA
First "overnight" burn with my old Timberland.

What does everyone do for an overnight load? I know it differs but just looking for some late night advise.

First "overnight" burn with my old Timberland.

What does everyone do for an overnight load? I know it differs but just looking for some late night advise.
Hopefully you have the stove really cruising. When I have that, say 500 to 600 degrees and a nice bed of coals, I will load my stove up with decent size splits. I will close my air intake to just a hair open, less than an eighth. This will usually burn through the night and still leave me with a decent bed of coals in the morning for a restart.

pack the stove full. Open it up and get the stack up to temp then you can shut it back pretty hard. If you close it back right away you are going to billow smoke and make allot of creosote. Which leads to the smoke dragon name

Ok.

Had a nice bed of coals still this morning. Got another fire going quickly.

My two splits and half round lasted. After I loaded I opened the primary's and let the pipe get to the top of "optimal burn" (500) on my thermometer. Then closed the primary's all but one slightly cracked.

Reactions: cookin2night
Burning throughout the day I think I make too drastic of primary air adjustments. Ill have it rolling nice with no smoke at at the 500 degree mark. then i get nervous and shut down some of the air. any advice on adjustments?

I guess its all a learning process

Do you have a thermometer on the top right corner? If so then it should have a decent operating range. As long as its inside the operating range don't get to nervous.

Do you have a thermometer on the top right corner? If so then it should have a decent operating range. As long as its inside the operating range don't get to nervous.

It's about 12-14 inches up the stack. I try to keep it on the top end of optimal. 500 degrees because the thermometer says 18 inches up the stack.

I would shut it down a little more 500 is pretty hot

400? Will that also keep creosote to a minimal? Or am I not understanding.
well what is your flue setup? If you have an insulated stainless flue you could drop to 300 to 350. You just need to keep the smoke above boiling till it exits the top of the chimney. If you have an exterior clay lined chimney 400 may be right or maybe even higher it is hard to tell without seeing it. But you do want to run it up to 500 or so and hold it there for 10 mins or so when you put in a fresh load. But then you can cut it back

well what is your flue setup? If you have an insulated stainless flue you could drop to 300 to 350. You just need to keep the smoke above boiling till it exits the top of the chimney. If you have an exterior clay lined chimney 400 may be right or maybe even higher it is hard to tell without seeing it. But you do want to run it up to 500 or so and hold it there for 10 mins or so when you put in a fresh load. But then you can cut it back

Insulated stainless two wall liner. Approx 16 ft.

You should be able to run it at 350 for sure maybe less you will have to experiment. But still run it up to start with. When you say two wall what do you mean? The light wall smooth stuff?

Flexking twin wall liner with insulation. Smooth inside
I have the same thing. Mine runs about 500 near the stove and 400 before it bends into the wall. Orifices very little creosote and smoke. The more smoke the more creosote.

I have the same thing. Mine runs about 500 near the stove and 400 before it bends into the wall. Orifices very little creosote and smoke. The more smoke the more creosote.
4b330b1cf350cf6153d0441072f2bff2.jpg

Burning both burners tonight! It's going to be 29 overnight!

All is well and Im happy to report I survived.. lol Everything is working well and running smoothly.

I scrounged a few dead trees Saturday. man does that stuff burn hot and clean. My main goal is to get as clean of a burn as possible from my old smoke dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.