First Post - Napoleon 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blkonblk

Oct 14, 2018
new york
Hi- first post on here. I will use this as a build/install/help thread. I purchased a used Napoleon 1402. Got it for $600 which I thought was a pretty good deal. It was a little rusty on the outside and the people that I bought if from had a few pets. Needless to say, it was not in the best of shapes. Brought it home and started to take it apart to clean it. Took the glass out, blowers out, sanded the front outside surface, installed new brick and baffles. Turned on the blowers to make sure they are working properly (after cleaning all the pet hair of course) Up to $800 now so still now bad. It looks basically brand new. Doing a lot of research here on installing the unit which I have not done yet. This is what I learned so far: block off plate is a must with some rockwool installation at the top and get an insulated ss liner. Now the questions:

1. What is the best/easiest way to remove the existing cast iron damper, like the one in the attached pic?
2. What site/place has the best price for the liner
3. Should I hire a company to do this install or should I do it myself? I'm pretty handy and could tackle any project

I live in rockland county ny if there is anyone on this forum that lives nearby and wants to help :), my fridge is filled with beer lol.

thank you guys in advance

thanks,
Bo

Attachments

• 2018-10-15_1117.png
    2018-10-15_1117.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 153
I did a very similar install a few years ago. Used Milwaukee 4.5 inch electric angle grinder to remove the fireplace damper. It's a dirty job but fun. Menards has good prices on liner and accessories especially with 11% off sales. My vote- do it yourself, use this site as a guide. Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thank you @Mike M. for the recommendation. I think the grinder will do the trick. I also checked Menards but they don't seem to have the flexible liners. any other suggestions?

thanks,
Bo

Menards only has one kit that I can find online and it's with a tee that you likely don't need. Check out Amazon.

Call a commercial chimney supply. I almost went with amazon, but I wanted to see and feel liner. I googled chimney supply, maybe rockland county chimney supply is 20 minutes away!
That’s how it worked out for me. I’ll called explained situation, guy was super friendly and knowledgeable. That usually never happens in my world, maybe it will for you too. As long as you’re comfortable on the roof it’s not a difficult job. Good luck.

My install was on a chimney that was in the center of the house but I still used insulation. Purchased the insulation separately.

Just installed mine. bought it from Rockford chimney with a 10% off. They sell an insulation kit. It is a bit easier to put on with the help of someone but not to bad. Grind out the damper. I also knocked some bricks out. I also agree do it yourself. I made a cheap block off plate for this year with cut pieces of my damper and shoving insulation up the chimney to where it got stuck. I used safe and sound insulation. says 2,200 degrees on the package. It was the only thing home depot had in stock.

How does your wood supply look for the winter? My first year with the 1402 I ran out of wood by February. The unit heats well but likes good dry wood. To get through the first winter I burned eco bricks.

@Mike M. I was looking to get a cord, is that enough? I'm looking to have it on basically all the time.

did you use a T when you hooked up your insert? I see it comes with most of these bundles, is it for easier cleaning the liner?

thanks,
Bo

got these yesterday at home depot 1c7fe25921ad479942b3cc427ea32979.jpg. the 16 gauge ss sheet seems like its going to be a pain to work with. what are you guys cutting this thing with?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mike M. I was looking to get a cord, is that enough? I'm looking to have it on basically all the time.

did you use a T when you hooked up your insert? I see it comes with most of these bundles, is it for easier cleaning the liner?

thanks,
Bo
No you dont use a tee with an insert. Get an insert kit.

got these yesterday at home depot View attachment 230968. the 16 gauge ss sheet seems like its going to be a pain to work with. what are you guys cutting this thing with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you dont want to use 16 gauge and you dont need stainless. Return that and get some 22 or 24 gauge galvanized.

4.5" angle grinder with cut off wheels. Then deburr edges.

A good jigsaw with good metal blade will also work, albeit slowly on SS.

1 cord = about 1 month of fuel for me in central Wisconsin.

If you're buying chances are slim the wood will be ready to burn. It may also be cut to large/long for the insert.

Just installed mine. bought it from Rockford chimney with a 10% off. They sell an insulation kit. It is a bit easier to put on with the help of someone but not to bad. Grind out the damper. I also knocked some bricks out. I also agree do it yourself. I made a cheap block off plate for this year with cut pieces of my damper and shoving insulation up the chimney to where it got stuck. I used safe and sound insulation. says 2,200 degrees on the package. It was the only thing home depot had in stock.
What is a block out plate?

is 30 gauge to thin? thats what lowes had, didnt see anything in home depot

I would say yes. 22 is a little heavy to work with. 30 would be too light. You have a great chance to crease or bend it getting it into place.

Yes, 26ga is what I'd recommend. It's easy to work with but stiff enough to not be flimsy.

ACE Hardware or you could try a local HVAC company that bends duct.