First scrounge and I'm all over that ash!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
way to go. Keep on rolling! Before you know it you'll be ahead. What are you burning in?

Thats awesome, that stuff is just about perfect size for bucking. Good luck with the standing Ash trees. I burned almost exclusively Ash last winter,,,its some good stuff. Only thing I didnt like is that it did leave a lot of fluffy ash at the end on the burn cycle. Its right behind Oak on my favorite list.

My stove is an old hurricane. Oh I'm already ahead. This winters wood is 6 cord of lodge pole pine. I know its not the best but I've got 5 acres of property that there's a lot of standing dead lodge pole. And for the next winter I've got this ash, some elm, and some white birch. I think I've got about half of next years wood ready. Pat

Attachments

• hearth.com 049.jpg
    hearth.com 049.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 204
Hears this years wood and some pics of my property. lots of aspen there too. Pat

Attachments

• ash 001.jpg
    ash 001.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 205
  • ash 002.jpg
    ash 002.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 217
Hears the property.

Attachments

• fjkal; 004.jpg
    fjkal; 004.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 210
  • fjkal; 005.jpg
    fjkal; 005.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 198
More Photos. This is our weekend getaway. We camp hear alot! Pat

Attachments

• fjkal; 006.jpg
    fjkal; 006.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 201
  • fjkal; 007.jpg
    fjkal; 007.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 186
When I was a kid (30 yrs ago or so) a neighbor of my parents planted a Norway Maple and Pin Oak along the street. Today the Pin Oak is easily twice the height and with a bigger trunk than the Norway Maple. It passed the maple 15 years ago or so. The oak has a trunk maybe 8 or 9 inches in diameter, based on a distant view last time I visited. not a whole lot of firewood, but it is a nice tree.

Love the white ash . . . one of my favorite woods.

Nice haul.

curber said:
Hears this years wood and some pics of my property. lots of aspen there too. Pat

Whoa Curber. Why do you have so much cover on those wood stacks? It is already stacked against the building and a fence so you've blocked off almost all the air circulation to the wood. I can not get dry very well like that. The tarps are simply going to hold moisture in the wood. Best to cover the top only.

Backwoods Savage said:
curber said:

Whoa Curber. Why do you have so much cover on those wood stacks? It is already stacked against the building and a fence so you've blocked off almost all the air circulation to the wood. I can not get dry very well like that. The tarps are simply going to hold moisture in the wood. Best to cover the top only.

Yeah that's one thing I've been meaning to ask. The wood with the tarps on it is standing dead lodge pole pine, So I think its dry enough. But the one thing that I've been wondering sense I've been on this site is that In Idaho where I live we get a lot of wind and I'm just worried about the wind blowing snow/rain in the sides of the stack. And when I say wind this is the windiest place I've ever seen. Any thought would be welcome. I did score some tin today for free so if you think I'm better of just putting the tin on the top then I'll do that. Thanks Pat

The long term plan is to build a wood shed Hear!

Attachments

• ash 001.jpg
    ash 001.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 137
Yea not to mention we're pretty dry here in the summer and winter months, i bet pine would dry in one summer here, still havn't gotten a moisture meter though

Curber, worry not about the wind blowing snow and rain against the wood piles. It will do no harm at all.

Yes, you are in a relatively dry climate which should be great for drying wood. I wouldn't even bother with a moisture meter (never owned one yet) because of the wood you have and the area you live in. Just get those stacks uncovered and if you must cover, do the top only. Remember, wood is not a sponge. That is, if it is not punky but that is another story. Wood will not soak up that sideways rain. Within 12 hours or less after the rain that wood will be just as dry as it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.