First season with wood ever - Jotul Oslo - Break In Period (Oops?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
grommal said:
and give nice secondaries for hours

I've never heard of secondary burns lasting this long with an Oslo. Can anyone else back this up? I've got up to maybe 45 min of secondaries and if I recall that was really pushing the envelope.. I thought that was about normal, but maybe Im wrong. Any Oslo burners out there wanna share their experience with secondaries?

logger said:
grommal said:
and give nice secondaries for hours

I've never heard of secondary burns lasting this long with an Oslo. Can anyone else back this up? I've got up to maybe 45 min of secondaries and if I recall that was really pushing the envelope.. I thought that was about normal, but maybe Im wrong. Any Oslo burners out there wanna share their experience with secondaries?
With a good bed of coals, then a full load of splits all at once, back off on the air all the way as soon as the secondaries catch, then they last for 2 hrs, maybe just a bit more. 45 minutes is easy with a partial load.

I don't have secondary burns happening more than 45 min. I guess if you keep the box filled and hot with the air control choked off you could keep the secondary burn going longer. I let the fire burn the cycle. For the desired amount of heat, I pay attention to the load size, air control.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.