First time burning a high efficiency woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$950! Wow. Nice price for a Pacific Energy, if it is as solid as their other stoves. I can see why the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it.

DBoon said:
$950! Wow. Nice price for a Pacific Energy, if it is as solid as their other stoves. I can see why the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it.

Why? Because they wouldn't make as much profit off it as other stoves?

Thanks Joe

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I went to the farm for a week and ended up staying five. I ended up not moving the stove just pulled out the old one and slid the new one in its place.

Thanks DBoon

It seems pretty good to me! It doesn't have a SS baffle but it does a nice job so far.

I got the new woodstove in the bunkhouse. In a way I hated to replace the 110 year old stove. And I really hate loosing all the radiant heat the round oak put out. Standing with my back to it and having the heat relax all my sore mussels. But I don't miss having to put wood in it every four hrs and having to leave the windows and door open in -6 deg weather because it was too hot inside.

376182_1985815660007_1681757389_1418087_1236390417_n.jpg

I haven't ran it in really cold weather yet. Low 30's at nite and mid 40's to mid 50's in the day. My wood isn't as dry as it should be and I was having a lot of buildup on the window. I was only using 2-3 splits at a time with the air cut all the way back. In fact I was afraid to fill it full without having a good fan. As it wanted to run 550 to 650 deg stove top all the time. If I wanted to keep it down to 300 I would only throw two splits and not give it any air to start. Burning white birch and red maple.

It was wild watching it restart from coals in the morning. Starting with the stove top 200 deg give it full air. Get the secondary's going good around 350 and watch the stove pipe get hot. Close off the air the stove top climbs to 550 but the stove pipe temps drop. Next time I get up to the farm I am going to take some chalk mark the stove pipe every foot. And record the pipe and stove top temps lighting the stove, with the air 1/2 open and the top at 350. Then with the air off top at 550. If I remember correctly after the air was down for a while the top at 550 the pipe was only at 275.

A little secondary action.

390392_2035838870556_1681757389_1436011_926677453_n.jpg

390392_2035838910557_1681757389_1436012_1228893404_n.jpg

I am so happy with the new stove I am seriously thinking of buying a Blaze King, King stove for my house. I have a Johnsons Energy J 9000 wood furnace right now and its driving me nuts with a 6-7 hr burn time now that I know how good these newer stoves are.

A quick peak of the new front covered porch I built at the farm. All the wood came off my property. And I cut and planned it all.

310695_1982838185572_1681757389_1416562_1116758401_n.jpg

312695_1982867866314_1681757389_1416572_1708149658_n.jpg

Billy

Joe

With about 4" of coals when I loaded at nite I was thorughing in three 5-7" oak rounds and with the air shut right down it was going 7-8 hrs with enough coals to easily light the next load of wood.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Joe

With about 4" of coals when I loaded at nite I was thorughing in three 5-7" oak rounds and with the air shut right down it was going 7-8 hrs with enough coals to easily light the next load of wood.

Billy

Wow, that sounds perfect! If we ever build an addition onto our living room like I want, then I'd have room for a larger stove and this looks like the ticket.

Cowboy Billy said:
Joe

Looks like it's doing it's job and burning well. Can you add your stove to your signature?

Dig the porch Billy. Cedar for the posts? Makes me think I need to start collecting poles again.

Sounds good Joe.

Hope you get that addition on.

Thanks BeGreen

I'm happy with it but I am curious to see how it does when its really cold. There's not much for insulation in the 26' travel trailer and the windows are singe pane.

Thanks DI

Other than the headers, joists and stringers its all white cedar. Peel the posts when they are cut, it works out a lot better. Thats why there is so much fuzz hanging on mine they were cut last fall and had dried out. Two posts were out in the sun for a year and I had to put them in the pond and put the loader bucket on them to hold them under water for a day and it could have used two or three. It was like the bark was glued on.

Here's a link to my porch build.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83491/

Billy

I had to peel a lot of standing-dead balsam fir poles for my woodshed (posts, beams, and rafters), and I also learned the hard way that dry bark is a massive pain to peel. I wrapped my stubborn ones in a tarp and hosed it down daily, didn't work as well as immersion but helped. Like you I'm learning as I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.