begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Tile roof or metal?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Check the house out carefully. The heat loss may be due to leakage at the top plate of the walls where it joins the roof. Some places are built pretty airy.

5. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Got some photos. Left the house to my son, the musician. You can see amid his clutter there we will be utilizing a useless corner space as a platform.
    ug 4.jpg hulbert.jpg

6. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    roof 1.jpg

I seem to be resending
    roof 2.jpg
    same photos .... trying to send better perspective of roof ... here we go. A little more complicated than I remembered it. The pipe should emerge approximately at the little splash of cement - looks about 16" from small pile of terra cottta shards, more like 6' from brick elevation.

7. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    cement. No tile in tat area

8. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Painting, btw, is by a dear and departed mad friend of mine, Gene Hulbert. My wife won't allow us to hang it when we're home, too disturbing, like most of his work. I figured someone's curiosity would be piqued

9. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Great. That's very helpful. Looks like a nice spot. I see an exterior chimney. Is that the normal process? It makes sense to avoid a roof penetration with the cement roof. What is the chimney for in the background?

10. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Thanks again. I guess I want the 6" pipe then. What is the highest practicable that pipe can extend above roof ? My contractor down there asked why stainless, why double wall, and why not just steel?

11. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    What appears to be a chimney is only a cosmetic cover for the tinaco, the rather ugly and ubiquitous Mexican water tank. You can see our neighbor's in the background - he installed his on top of the enclosure to get more pressure!. We've installed a hydro-pneumatic tank to add pressure to our system and we keep the tinaco as a backup, as one never knows down there when the juice will fail or for how long.

12. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    My concern is how it's nearness will affe ct the draft and how high can or should I go...

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, I'm used to them being black, but I see it now.

14. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Actually, at this point I am more concerned about a properly supported, leak free installation. The cement roof adds some challenges. Is the roof the ceiling of the room below?

What is the large silver tank on the right for, propane?

15. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Wonder if you could get a custom ss toplate for 10" liner and have the collar height extended an extra few inches then inbed the base into the roof and backfill leaving a 1/2" expansion gap around the collar fill with silicone and put a storm collar on the class a

16. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    In this photo the ceiling is the narrow, slightly angled space above the gray brick structure being used here as a storage space, next to the door.. We were going to make it the platform for the stove . And yes, it is a propane tank

ug 2.jpg

17. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks like a lot of the room ceiling is below 12' tall.

In the area where you want to locate the stove is the cement roof the ceiling of the room below?

Is the wall behind the stove location cement or studded with drywall?

FWIW, I would at least consider a propane heater unless the fuel is outrageously expensive.

18. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Is it so difficult to waterproof with cement?
    The ceiling is indeed the roof. They do have experience with skylights though, we have one in our bathroom. The ceiling varies throughout the house, reaching probably an arched 14 feet in the bedrooms. There is no drywall in the house, pure cement and brick construction. Propane would be considerably more expensive, and I am planning on living on a small fixed income, so the stove would be perfect...By the way, that's 12 feet from the top of the platform.... and hey, thanks for spending all this time on me

19. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    A skylight will have a curb and then flashing. That may be the proper way here too, but I have no experience with installing a chimney in a cement roof and would defer to local experience. My concerns are how is the chimney supported, how is the flashing sealed and fastened properly and how is the chimney braced? It will need a brace at the 5ft level above the roof.

Just speculating here. Maybe they could make a curb to fit a cathedral support box that would have the lip folded over and attached to the curb? That would support the chimney. The chimney flashing could be attached to a custom top plate flashing to go over the curb. This probably would need to be made locally.

@webby3650, @bholler have you installed a chimney in a cement roof?

20. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    These guys work with cement roofs all year round - I don't have the nomenclature down - top plate, storm collar, etc - I work some with cement tho - swimming pools for 45 yrs ..... but that sounds like something they could do (was picturing in my head filling something with silicone).

21. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Thanks again. I'll go over all this stuff with my man down there - it should help a lot

22. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yeah i have never worked on a cement roof. I would say go with guys that know that type of roof. I would figure it out if i had to but if i knew some one with experience i would hand it off.

23. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    Cement is just the powder binder, an ingredient in concrete, stucco, etc. Are the ceilings poured concrete?

What a cool location. Mexico is always portrayed as slums or beaches. A stove will be pleasant.

24. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Theres many different ways to do the same thing and achieve the same results. Having said that i would agree locals may know more about your particular situation. Ive yet to go thru concrete ceiling/roof with a chimney and although i dont think it would be difficult to come up with something i would rely on the locals if they already have a proven system/template. In reguards to double wall. If draft is of concern anything that keeps flue temps higher is goinb to help.

25. Chasm

Chasm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Lawrence, NY
    Thanks. T
    Thanks. That is clear.

Just rebar and cement.
    It's warm all the time by the coast. The weather is wonderful down there in elevated areas, that's why all the best cities south of the border are built on high plateau..... You have to avoid the pollution tho by staying in hills outside cities, the mountains trap in the smog and thermal inversion is nasty.