Fisher Baby Bear stove, high density firebricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rayc

Feb 17, 2021
N.S Canada
Hi there!

I have just found myself a Fisher Baby Bear stove from the early 80s (with the cathedral door.. I've been doing some reading about it on this amazing site!). I have cleaned it up, painted it and I'm about to re-do the fire bricks, but I am unsure if high density fire bricks are safe to use for this stove. On the Manual it mentions the original stove including "Ohio Unbranded Low Duty Firebricks"... should I look for Low density firebricks? I've been having a hard time finding them near me and would prefer to use high density as long as its safe.

Thanks!

Hi there!

I have just found myself a Fisher Baby Bear stove from the early 80s (with the cathedral door.. I've been doing some reading about it on this amazing site!). I have cleaned it up, painted it and I'm about to re-do the fire bricks, but I am unsure if high density fire bricks are safe to use for this stove. On the Manual it mentions the original stove including "Ohio Unbranded Low Duty Firebricks"... should I look for Low density firebricks? I've been having a hard time finding them near me and would prefer to use high density as long as its safe.

Thanks!
Just standard firebrick. But be aware there are many different grades. The ones you buy at hardware stores or box stores are going to be low grade and expensive. If you have a good brick yard near you that is the best option

I buy bricks to reline my Fishers from my local building supply house that sells brick and block. The bricks are known as "Splits" and are like the ones linked above. I pay about $1.25 each.

I buy bricks to reline my Fishers from my local building supply house that sells brick and block. The bricks are known as "Splits" and are like the ones linked above. I pay about $1.25 each.
Yeah you don't want to get full firebrick. That wouldn't work well at all.